Homemade mayonnaise in 30 seconds

Homemade mayonnaise can be made with just 2 ingredients, in 30 seconds ~ and you have one of the great sauces in culinary history!

a spoonful of homemade mayonnaise

My 30 second mayonnaise recipe is a game changer

Just think about it—the freshest, creamiest, purest mayonnaise possible, in 30 seconds. That’s way less time than it takes to grab a jar at the supermarket and wait on the checkout line.

making mayonnaise in a mason jar

making mayonnaise the old fashioned way

I’ve made mayo from scratch before, the old fashioned way, standing by the food processor for many minutes sloooooowly drizzling the oil according to the classic method for making mayo. Actually French chefs insist on a whisk, which is even more laborious. My arm literally ached the next morning. If you’ve made your own mayonnaise the old fashioned way and loved it, you owe it to yourself to try this.

homemade mayonnaise in a jar

you’ll need an immersion blender for 30 second mayonnaise

You should have one anyway, they aren’t expensive and there’s a lot you can do with them, from pureeing soups right in the pot to making smoothies. I have to say this was the most fun I’ve had in the kitchen in a long time.

homemade mayonnaise in a jar with spoon

I’ve settled on the easiest, most foolproof way to make mayonnaise

There are lots of youtube videos demonstrating how to make this, but they are all a little different, and I went through several attempts at this before figuring it out. From my experience, it’s the egg being at room temperature that makes the difference. I made it several times, with safflower oil, and then pure olive oil. You can also make it with virgin olive oil, but it will be richer, more yellow, and have a stronger taste. That can be a plus in some recipes. You can flavor your mayonnaise with a little lemon juice and mustard, and salt, but it isn’t necessary.

making homemade mayonnaise

use pasteurized eggs for safe homemade mayonnaise

If you use pasteurized there is no risk of contamination in the finished mayo. You’ll find them in most grocery stores, right in the same section with regular eggs. Pasteurized eggs have been gently heated to a temperature that kills any harmful bacteria, without actually ‘cooking’ the eggs. Use them just as you would regular eggs.

TIP:  Did you know you can pasteurize your own eggs at home? you can easily pasteurize your own eggs at home, directions here.

pasteurized eggs for mayonnaise

more amazing 30 second sauces

homemade mayonnaise in a jar

I use my immersion blender a lot in my kitchen. I have always used it to blend soups etc. right in the pot, but I have to say that ever since I discovered how easy it is to make mayo and dressings like this, it’s become one of my most beloved tools. It’s not expensive, it’s very easy to clean because the top screws right off for rinsing, and it has a solid, heavy feel to it.

Homemade Mayonnaise in 30 seconds

30-Second Mayonnaise is the perfect storm of recipes. Just 2 ingredients, 30 seconds, and you have one of the great sauces in culinary history.
Course condiment
Prep Time 1 minute
Total Time 1 minute
Yield 1 cup
Calories 128kcal

• 1 whole egg (use pasteurized for safety at room temperature)
  • 1 cup mild oil like safflower, canola, or pure olive oil
  • 1 mason jar or other jar that is just wide enough to fit your immersion blender (I used a Kerr Wide Mouth Pint Jar)

• Make sure your egg and oil are at room temperature, this is important. Put your egg and oil in the bottom of a glass jar that fits your immersion blender. Ideally, it should be a close fit.
  • Put the immersion blender down into the cup and rest it at the bottom. Turn it on and blend, keeping it at the bottom until you start to see the mayo thicken. Then gently raise the blender head to blend the rest of the mayo. Stop the machine when you see that the entire jar has thickened. Don’t over-blend or the mayo will ‘break’. Note: If you see that the mixture turns creamy before you have raised the blender, you can stop.
  • Give it a stir and then cap the jar and store in the fridge. Eat it up within the week.

Cook’s notes

• The size of your jar matters, if it is too big, you won’t get an emulsion.  Use a jar that just fits the ingredients and your immersion blender.
  • If you have trouble getting the mayo to thicken, add another egg.
  • If you want to flavor your mayo, you can add the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of mustard. That’s the classic seasoning, but of course you can do anything you want, it’s your mayonnaise 😉

Nutrition

Serving: 1Tbsp | Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 4mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg
free ebook

Paula Dannels
    May 29, 2017 at 9:21 am

WOW! I never thought of using my wand mixer. I added a scant THE of lime juice and a squirt of yellow French’s mustard to my “regular” mayonnaise. This is as I super easy!

May 29, 2017 at 9:42 am

Thanks Paula, this is one of my favorite recipes, and I’ve varied it in tons of ways ~ I bet you’ll find lots of uses for the technique, too 🙂

Joh
    March 6, 2017 at 6:51 am

ok, I’ve been making mayonnaise like this for several years. It is a great method.
    Some tips:
    1 – like the recipe says, room temperature for everything. You can put the egg in hot water from the tap for about five minutes to accomplish this.
    2 – the size of the jar is critical. If it’s too big, the oil in the egg will not come in proper contact and the emotion won’t happen. The 1 pint Mason jar is the perfect size, and has the added benefit of being a storage container when you’re done.
    3 – This does form mayonnaise, but it does taste pretty boring. Conditional mayonnaise has some acidity to counteract all the oil, so a little lemon juice, wait for Sherry vinegar, and Dijon mustard would all help give it a little snap. With some salt also.
    4 – bonus addition – a can of chipotle en adobo peppers.

March 6, 2017 at 6:56 am

Love all this feedback, thanks! I really like the idea of adding chipotle, I may do that in a post all by itself!

Samantha bayliss
        August 28, 2017 at 1:37 am

Hi I’ve just found this recipe but I like to know how much oil you have to put in the jar ?

August 28, 2017 at 7:13 am

It’s a cup of oil, Samantha.

Joan Howard
      April 10, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Long ago I found, in an antique store, a Wesson Oil ‘mayonnaise maker’…a straight-sided quart size jar with a metal lid and a heavy mesh plunger that went through the lid into the jar. On the jar was the recipe — ‘An egg, 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar, teaspoon each mustard, salt, sugar dash of pepper. Beat in thoroughly as poured from can 1 pint Wesson Oil
      I have used it occasionally ever since. Sometimes I even ‘use’ it only to refer to the ‘recipe’ while I measure my ingredients (but NO SUGAR…EVER) into my quart jar and blend with my ‘outboard’ or immersion blender. KitchenAid’s fits perfectly into wide mouth Mason jars but not into the narrow-mouth. The antique jar had a concave lid so the oil could well up in it and drizzle down onto the other ingredients as they mixed. This method is easier, even, than the Wesson Oil jar method, and I, too, always use light olive oil and lots of different additions…all lemon juice, all flavored vinegar….hmmm…that fabulous grapefruit vinaigrette you make? The possibilities, as they say, are endless, the results always delicious! Thanks!

April 10, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Love this ~ wish I could see that ‘mayo maker’ Joan!

Alison Turner
          January 22, 2021 at 3:39 pm

I have that mayonnaise maker! My grandmother worked for Wesson oil in the early 1930’s demonstrating how to make mayonnaise in stores. Her sister, Lily Badeaux, even won a contest and named Blue Plate mayonnaise! I tried to figure out a way to attach a photo but alas, no luck!

• Alison Turner
            January 22, 2021 at 3:42 pm

Actually, if you google Wesson Oil mayonnaise maker, an article on the item comes up from a history site!

Donsld
    February 20, 2017 at 8:56 am

Has anyone tried making mayo in a Silver Bullit sized blender?

Maddy
    January 13, 2017 at 7:44 pm

I tried this recipe but it didn’t work

January 13, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Sorry Maddy, I’m here to answer questions if you have any!

Caroline @ Pinch Me, I'm Eating!
    November 19, 2016 at 6:46 am

I’ve always sworn by Hellman’s mayo but this looks so easy and amazing! I’ve never made my own mayonnaise but I think I’m going to have to give this a shot. I bet it’s awesome!

November 19, 2016 at 7:15 am

It really is, Caroline. And I think one of the best things about this is how many ways you can customize it.

Suze
    October 17, 2016 at 7:59 pm

My first try with this recipe and it WORKED! Yay! And thank you!
    I have a Breville immersion blender and it’s the bomb, BUT the darn thing is just a tiny bit too wide to fit in a wide Mason jar… So I made in a glass Pyrex 2-cup measure and it worked fine. Transferred to the Mason jar and it’s in the fridge. I used avocado oil, and put a tablespoon on lemon juice and teaspoon of yellow mustard. I am VERY pleased. All the commercial mayo in this area (Hellman’s, Blue Plate, Kraft and Duke) has soybean oil in it, even the one that has some olive oil. 🙁 Now I can make my own!

October 17, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I love the idea of using avocado oil, and you hit it right on the head about the commercial brands, they’re fine, but when you do it from scratch you can really get something special 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to comment, Suze.

Diana
    October 9, 2016 at 9:51 am

Saw Mario Batali make mayo with this method once. Blew my mind. Then couldn’t find it again to learn exactly how he did it. THANK YOU!!

October 9, 2016 at 10:38 am

It’s really fun to do, Diana!

Marion
    September 14, 2016 at 8:23 am

Mine didn’t work, one fresh egg from my chickens and a cup of oil. I beat for over three minutes and it is very runny. Help!!

September 14, 2016 at 8:59 am

Add an extra egg, Marion, it should thicken up instantly!

Mary Jo
    May 4, 2016 at 11:57 am

NO WAY!!!!! I couldn’t believe this worked! I’ve been making it the tedious way forever!!! Amazing and so easy! Needs seasoning, but that will be fun to play with.

May 4, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Yay Mary Jo! I felt the same way the first time I tried it 🙂

Mayo Lover
    April 16, 2016 at 10:57 am

I have made mayo in a blender and a food processor, and I am so going to try this. I absolutely loathe that store mayo generally contains soy. (Soy is not good for you, people, unless it is fermented.)

Question about speed used with the immersion blender. Mine has 2 speeds (fast & faster), and there are some with 5 speeds. Your method doesn’t define which speed to use. So, does it matter what speed one uses? Thanks for the recipe and answer.

April 16, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Gosh, mine only has one speed. My guess is that you would use the top speed. Let me know what happens!

1 2 3 4 5