How to Make Whipped Yogurt

Whipped Yogurt ~ the new way to enjoy one of the healthiest foods on the planet! ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com
Whipped Yogurt is wonderfully light and creamy --- use it as a healthier version of whipped cream, or a slightly more decadent form of yogurt --- it's your call! ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com

Hold on to your hats folks, Whipped Yogurt is a thing, and it’s a really good thing! Silky smooth and light as air — it’s either a healthier version of whipped cream, or a more decadent form of yogurt, depending on how you look at it — so whether you feel virtuous after dinner, or a little bit naughty in the morning — it all evens out in the end 😉

Whipped Yogurt is silky smooth and light as air, perfect for serving with fresh fruit for dessert or a luxurious breakfast! ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com

I’m not sure how I came upon this, I’ve had it in the back of my mind for a while and I finally decided to give it a go. First I experimented with whipping plain non-fat Greek yogurt. That didn’t accomplish much. It was when I added a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream that the fun started. That little bit of cream helps whip up the volume and creates a silky smooth texture. The cream cuts the tang of the yogurt, too. It can be used as a healthy alternative to whipped cream (or Cool Whip) or served on its own in any way you’d use your favorite yogurt.

Whipped Yogurt is decadently rich and creamy --- serve it as a healthier alternative to whipped cream, or on its own for dessert or breakfast! ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com

I used my immersion blender to do the whipping. I put a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt in a wide mouthed mason jar, added a couple of tablespoons of cream, and blended it for about a 30 seconds, moving the blender up and down a bit to incorporate all the yogurt. The immersion blender is quick and convenient, but it’s also surprisingly powerful so it’s an almost immediate transformation. The blade is concentrated so it does a better job than a hand mixer could do. If you wanted to make a larger amount, I would use a food processor. It takes a powerful motor to turn yogurt into a cloud 🙂

Whipped Yogurt is fluffy, light, and unbelievably delicious --- use it as a healthy dessert or a decadent breakfast! ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com

This doesn’t have the stiff aerated texture of the supermarket whipped yogurts, this is thick and creamy and I think it’s so much more appealing.

Whipped Yogurt ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com

But it’s not all about texture, the flavor is wonderful, too. Whipped yogurt still tastes like yogurt, but with a subtler tang. This is a lovely way to serve beautiful high summer fruit like fresh berries. You can sweeten the deal with a bit of honey, maple syrup, agave, or Swerve if you like.

Whipped Yogurt with honey and fresh currents ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com

I’m quite happy with the results of my experiment, I hope you give it a try.

Minimal Monday: Whipped Yogurt

for each serving

• 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 3 Tbsp heavy cream

• Put the yogurt and cream into a wide mouthed jar. Insert an immersion blender and blend until thick and creamy. This will only take about 30 seconds. Move the blender up and down a bit to incorporate all the yogurt.
  • If you want to do a larger amount, use a food processor.
  • Use your whipped yogurt in any way you would use whipped cream or yogurt.

notes:

• Feel free to adjust the proportions of cream to yogurt for different effects.
  • Try using the seeds of a vanilla bean, or some vanilla extract, for flavor and a sense of sweetness without the need to add any sweetener.
  • Try substituting whipped yogurt in no-bake recipes and other recipes that call for whipped cream.

DON’T FORGET TO PIN IT!

WHIPPED YOGURT can double as a healthier alternative to whipped cream, or a more decadent yogurt, but whatever way you think about it, it's awesome! ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com

used to make whipped yogurt (photos are clickable)

Ella
    July 5, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Hey.How long does this keep for in the fridge? Thanks

July 5, 2018 at 4:37 pm

About a week, maybe longer.

April
    July 4, 2018 at 8:56 am

Sorry, but this did not work out for me at all. I just had yogurt thinned down with heavy whipping cream. I added a tbsp of honey and a tsp of vanilla bean extract to give it a scooch more flavor. It tasted good, but was nowhere near the consistency of whipped topping.

July 4, 2018 at 9:19 am

The problem could have been how you whipped it April, did you use an immersion blender? It needs to be a powerful blender to get it all whipped up. The end result isn’t as thick as, say, cool whip, but it should be fluffier than regular yogurt, if that makes sense.

Leah
    August 27, 2017 at 11:19 am

I’m a little confused about if the whipping cream is supposed to actually whip, or if it just thins the yogurt a bit? I assumed it was suppose to whip, but I tried to make this recipe and it seemed like the yogurt just got thinned out…

April
      July 4, 2018 at 8:57 am

Leah, that’s what happened to mine also.

Mark Allen
    August 6, 2017 at 7:07 pm

I may have just missed to paragraph but Im looking for a way to make whipped chocolate yogurt, yoplait has an excellent one my grandson loves. Any idea how I could incorporate real chocolate?

August 6, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I think you could use cocoa powder, Mark. Either mix it with the yogurt or the cream.

Brianne Prior
    June 7, 2017 at 6:36 am

Could this be used as a “frosting” for cake? I’m struggling to find a suitable no-sugar frosting for my daughter’s no-sugar/grain smash cake, and it is a challenge!!! If this doesn’t work,out as frosting, I may just layer it with strawberries and have her tear into that!!! Because yogurt and fruit are big time favorites of hers!!!

July 4, 2018 at 9:20 am

Absolutely, I think it would make a nice topping or frosting, but be aware that it’s not super thick.

Catherine
      December 1, 2018 at 7:39 am

Way belated but I wonder if adding cornstarch would help: that’s part of why powdered sugar is used in frosting recipes.

December 1, 2018 at 8:06 am

Good idea!

Rachel
    March 24, 2017 at 7:42 am

I made this with full fat greek yogurt and have decided it is not my cup of tea. It is richer than regular yogurt, but lacks the lightness of whipped cream.

It would probably be better if made with those fat free flavored yogurts as the cream would add richness and cut the overly sweet taste they frequently have.

March 24, 2017 at 7:49 am

That’s something to try, for sure. I’ve never liked flavored yogurts, so that might help. It also might be nice to try and flavor this recipe with some natural fruit like pureed strawberries.

Linda
    March 15, 2017 at 10:46 pm

I have been strainiing regular yogurt to make my own greek yogurt . I noticed that Fage put cream in theirs and it seems to be whipped. This is the recipe I need to copy Fage. Thank you.

Yael
    March 7, 2017 at 11:11 am

Hmmm… I tried to post this yesterday but I guess it didn’t go through for some reason–but I am loving this whole concept! Have been flavoring it with lime zest and honey to top fruit salad. Am thinking I will try flavoring with lemon curd next. Maybe not quite as healthy as originally intended but definitely more so than plain whipped cream.:)

Yael
    March 6, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Have been really loving this whole concept lately as a topping for fruit salad-I don’t really measure either the cream or yogurt and just use a hand mixer to beat the mixture and then add in lime zest and honey and a bit of lime juice and beat a bit more. Am thinking of trying it with a bit of jarred lemon curd and maybe some lemon zest to mix things up also to top fruit salad.

Jules @ WolfItDown
    August 17, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I would never have thought of this! Clever, and yes… the flavour of natural yogurt can be a little sharp at times, so this is a great way of fixing it! Have you tried making ice cream with it? x

July 4, 2018 at 9:22 am

I have not, but nice idea!!

1 2 3 4