My sister’s summer beet and corn salad ~ a healthy simple salad that celebrates sweet summer corn and beets!
Since our cross country move last year, my sister and I are now separated by a continent. We try to stay in touch with a weekly phone appointment, but the 3 hour time difference confuses things. Sometimes one of us will miss it. Or forget. When we do connect, one of our phones might have an echo. Or a delay. Sometimes I can only hear every third word. Occasionally it just cuts out all together. But we’ll keep at it. Every once in a while the reception is crystal clear, both families are out of the house, and the conversation flows just like we were sitting in the living room together, glasses of wine in hand, talking out our most intimate issues, and cracking each other up, as only sisters can.
This is her summer salad. I have never made it before because I’ve never needed to. I could always count on her bringing it by when we’d have dinner around the pool on a warm night, or it would be waiting for me when our families would get together for a barbecue at her house. I’ve been meaning to make it all summer.
The garnet colored beets are one of the most beautiful and healthy foods on the planet.
Toss the salad with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste. Add lots of sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Chill the salad for at least an hour or two, if you can hold off that long. I sprinkle the feta on top when I’m ready to serve. The cheese will stay white that way. Delicious!!!
My sister’s summer beet and corn salad
- 1 bunch of beets I had 3 medium sized beets
- 2 ears of corn kernels removed
- 1 cup of fresh peas if you have them…I didn’t
- 1 small red onion minced
- 2 stalks celery minced
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Trim the tops off the beets and put them in a pot of water just to cover. Boil for 30-45 minutes until they're just tender. Check by sticking a sharp knife into the center of one. Cool them while you prep the other vegetables.
- Microwave the corn kernels (and peas if you are using them) for about a minute or two, or just leave them raw if you prefer. Put the corn, celery and onion into a serving bowl. When the beets are cool enough to handle, trim off both ends and gently peel off the skin. Chop the beets into chunks and add to the bowl.
- The salad will keep, refrigerated, for up to a week.