This summer beet and corn salad is my sister’s recipe ~ it’s a simple healthy salad that celebrates sweet summer corn, beets, and sisterhood!
sweet summer corn and beet salad
It’s my sister’s signature salad, and it’s a summertime staple for me. I never actually had to make it for myself until now, because we lived in the same city for so long, raising our kids and celebrating all life’s big and small moments together. I could count on it every Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.
But recent moves have separated us, and while we try to stay in touch with a weekly phone appointment, the time difference sabotages us. Sometimes one of us will miss it. Or forget. When we do connect, one of our phones might have an echo, or a delay. Sometimes I can only hear every third word (it’s a miracle I got this recipe straight!) But every once in a while the reception is crystal clear and the conversation flows just like we were sitting in the living room together, glasses of wine in hand, talking out our most intimate issues, and cracking each other up, as only sisters can.
what you’ll need for this beet and corn salad
I’m so glad I finally made this salad for myself, it’s so simple! If you want to get a head start on it, cook the beets up to a few days ahead, they do fine in the fridge.
- beets ~ you can boil them or roast them.
- fresh corn
- red onions
- celery ~ provides the crunch!
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
a healthy and satisfying summer salad
The garnet colored beets are one of the most beautiful veggies on the planet, and they’re a nutrient dense superfood, as well. Combine it with corn, and you’ve got a fiber rich salad packed with vitamins, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties. It will give you energy and keep you feeling satisfied way longer than a green salad or pasta salad ever could. It might just be the perfect summer salad.
tips for making a beet salad
Beets are highly pigmented and so can be a challenge when combining them with other ingredients…
- I like to toss my diced beets with a little bit of the dressing first, before adding to the bowl. This provides a little bit of a barrier to minimize bleeding.
- I toss the corn, onion, and celery with dressing separately, too, and then add everything to my serving bowl. This way, I don’t have to mix the salad too much.
- Add the feta cheese at the very end so it will stay white longer.
- Of course once the salad is served, all bets are off, that gorgeous pink will take over ~ and that’s one of the joys of a beet salad!
if you like this you’ll love…
- Roasted Beet and Brie Salad
- Sweet Corn and Watermelon Salad
- Russian Beet Salad with Sour Cream and Dill
- Creamy Sweet Corn Salad
- Roasted Beet and Burrata Salad
- Corn and Cucumber Salad
Beet and Corn Salad
- 3 medium beets
- 2 ears corn
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, use more to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- chopped parsley
- Trim the tops off the beets and put them in a pot of water just to cover. Boil for 30-45 minutes until they’re just tender. Check by sticking a sharp knife into the center of one. Cool them while you prep the other vegetables.
- Microwave the corn kernels for about a minute or two, or just leave them raw if you prefer. I think cooking them brings out the flavor.
- Put the corn, celery and onion into a serving bowl. When the beets are cool enough to handle, trim off both ends and gently peel off the skin. Chop the beets into chunks and add to the bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar and taste to adjust the proportions. Toss the salad with enough dressing to moisten it,you may not need it all. Season with salt and pepper and chill until ready to serve.
- Add the feta cheese and parsley just before serving.
- The salad will keep, refrigerated, for up to a week.