Nutella S’mores Bars ~ everybody’s favorite summer treat in an ooey, gooey, decadent, and delicious bar, no campfire needed! Make a batch and watch them disappear before your eyes.
VINTAGE VIEW ~ these Nutella S’mores Bars are from TVFGI archives, the summer of 2013 to be exact. As part of a new series on the blog I’m reviving some of my favorite recipes that you may have missed over the years. I’ve refreshed the photos and commentary but the recipe remains intact ~ I make these every summer and they’re foolproof ~ I HIGHLY recommend them!
These s’mores bars have everything going for them…they’re easy, they combine everybody’s favorite flavors, and the scent of warm graham and vanilla emanating from your oven will make you feel like a baking goddess. Up till now I haven’t done much with a s’mores theme on the blog. I’m not sure why, except that I’ve never really especially loved the original all that much to begin with. The marshmallow tends to be too bulky, the chocolate is usually mediocre, and the graham crackers are just, meh. But this dessert takes all that is good about a s’more and makes it great.
Just enough, but not too much, marshmallow oozes out from the folds of the soft and chewy brown sugar and graham cracker infused crust, and there’s a thick layer of Nutella underneath it all. And Nutella never disappoints.
The dough is beautiful to work with, you can just tell it’s going to be delicious when it’s all baked up. I blend it all up in my food processor since I had it out anyway to make the graham cracker crumbs. Pat 2/3 of it in the bottom of your square baking pan, then top with the Nutella and marshmallow creme. The rest of the dough gets crumbled over the top. As it bakes the marshmallow and the dough mingles into a very pretty pattern.
Are you a corner loving type like my husband? Because the corners get nice and crisp/chewy.
I’m a center cut girl all the way.
These are just what you’d hope for in a s’mores bar ~ they’re easy to put together, easy to cut, and they have a satisfying ooey gooey texture thanks to the chocolate hazelnut spread and the marshmallow creme. The graham and vanilla flavors linger in your mouth even after you’ve finished the last bite. That’s probably because the crust sticks to your teeth a little bit…in the very best way.
One of the nice things about these bars is that the neither the Nutella nor the marshmallow creme hardens, so when you bite into them, you get that classic melty chocolate and stretchy marshmallow pull of a s’more hot from the campfire. Please don’t let the summer pass you by without making a batch!
TIP: The easy way to line your pan with parchment is to set the pan on the paper and cut in to the corners, removing the extra squares. It will then fit perfectly into your pan with a built in ‘sling’ to make removing your bars super easy. Spray the pan lightly with cooking spray first to adhere the paper so it won’t slip around.
- 9 full sized graham crackers (1 sleeve, about 5 oz)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/2 of a 7 oz jar of marshmallow fluff
- Set the oven to 350F
- Grind the graham crackers in a food processor until finely ground. It helps to break them apart as you add them to the machine. Process until the mixture is very finely pulverized, with no lumps.
- Mix the cracker meal with the flour and salt and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla bean paste and blend well.
- Add in the flour/graham mixture and fold in until well combined.
- Press 2/3 of the dough into a lightly greased or parchment lined 8x8 square baking pan. Using your fingers, spread the dough evenly across the pan so it covers the entire bottom.
- Spread the Nutella over the dough.
- Using a small spoon, dollop the marshmallow fluff evenly across the Nutella. You don't need to spread it out, but try to get small dollops evenly distributed across the entire surface.
- Crumble the remaining 1/3 of the dough over the top. Use your fingertips to break it apart into small pieces and scatter it evenly across the surface. Some of the marshmallow will peek through.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until lightly golden and puffed up a bit.
- Let cool before cutting if you want neat squares, but these are pretty amazing while they are still warm.
Make them your own ~
- Usually I have lots to suggest in this section, but these Nutella s’mores bars are kinda perfect, just sayin’.
- If you must fool with them, you might try using chocolate chips or small squares of milk or dark chocolate in place of the Nutella.
- Peanut butter might also work in place of, or along with, the Nutella.
- Craving s’more? How about making a S’mores Dip? Or maybe you’d like these S’mores Cheesecake Bars. I’m definitely trying these Peanut Butter Stuffed S’mores Brownies!
Don’t forget to pin these Nutella S’mores Bars!