Vodka and Clementine Glazed Salmon ~ an easy, healthy 30-minute meal that’s a celebration of seasonal eating. The marriage of perfectly roasted salmon and juicy clementines is heavenly!
Vodka and clementine glazed salmon is seasonal eating at its best!
I love recipes that can only be made certain times of the year. In a world where you can get almost anything, at a price, all year round, this is one of those rare examples. We believe in eating fish as much as possible in our house, and it often becomes our default dinner, but because of that I sometimes get a little lazy about how I serve it. Like salt, pepper, and lemon lazy. A smear of mayo and breadcrumbs lazy. But here’s an idea that elevates fish without putting you to too much bother. In fact, one of the best things about eating fish for dinner is that you can start thinking about it half an hour before sitting down at the table.
Use clementines, tangerines, or Meyer lemons for this easy roasted salmon recipe
Clementines are plentiful right now, and since they’re usually sold by the bag or crateful, you can easily set aside a few for this dish without compromising your healthy snacking habits. I mix up a quick glaze in a saucepan and pour it over the fish before broiling. The sliced clementines infuse an extra burst of flavor into the fish. The vodka itself is flavorless, but acts as a flavor enhancer, and the whole thing is simple, but very satisfying.
This salmon dish is bursting with healthy omega 3s and Vitamin C!
I know darn well that fish will never have the appeal of a brownie or a cheesecake, but a dish like this goes a little way toward bridging that divide. This is a pleasure to cook and a pleasure to eat ~ the health benefits are a nice bonus.
Other fish you can use for this recipe
I splurged on wild Alaskan salmon this time, and boy was it good. I love the deeper color and firmer texture. This dish could easily be made with a firm white fish as well, like
- sea bass
- halibut or
- mahi mahi.
Reader Rave ~
“Made this for dinner tonight. It is a keeper! Thanks!!!!” ~ Jo
Vodka and Clementine Glazed Salmon
- 1 lb fillet of salmon
- olive oil
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 2 clementines, washed and sliced as thinly as possible, remove the seeds!
- sprigs of fresh dill
for the sauce
- 1/2 cup clementine or orange juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Set the oven to broil
- Rub the salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place skin side down in a roasting pan just big enough to fit it. Lay the clementine slices over the fish.
- In a small saucepan, bring the juice, vodka, brown sugar and soy sauce to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and clementines
- Broil the fish for about 12-15 minutes, or until the fish is done to your liking. You may need to flip the clementine slices once to prevent them from burning.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh dill, and scoop any pan drippings over the fish before serving.