Breakfast smoothie bowls are all the rage right now, and I will say they make a lot of sense. Normally I’m not a smoothie for breakfast type, I’m just not into drinking my meals… but this is an idea I can get behind. With a healthy morning smoothie bowl, loaded with fruits, nuts, and granola, I get to spoon and crunch my way to a balanced and hearty start to the day.
The concept is uber simple – just whiz together your smoothie, spoon it into a shallow bowl, and top it with your favorite stuff. My bowl was rimmed with fresh blackberries pureed with 2% Greek yogurt. I wanted the base to be thick, so I didn’t add any other liquids. My toppings…strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, tangerine, banana, Spanish peanuts and honey flax granola.
What You Will Need
- 1 cup fresh ripe blackberries, rinsed
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- assorted fruits and nuts for garnish, I used strawberries, raspberries, tangerine segments, sliced bananas, chopped kiwi and Spanish peanuts,
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- Set oven to 350F
- To make the granola, toss the oats with the oil, honey, and flax seeds to coat well.
- Spread the oats out onto a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the oats are golden brown. I give the pan a stir several times during the baking. Let cool.
- To make the smoothie, put the berries in a blender and blend until pureed. Add the yogurt and blend again until smooth.
- Spoon the yogurt into a shallow bowl and top with assorted fruits and nuts. Sprinkle the granola over the top and enjoy.
You will have extra granola.
Have a great day!