My simple Cranberry Cleanse Smoothie will wake you up, and slap you back into shape after all manner of foodie indiscretions…did I mention it also happens to be insanely delicious?
My cranberry cleanse smoothie is a day-after tradition!
It’s that time again…time for a healthy cleanse after a day, a week, (or how about since March?) of eating with abandon. That’s ok, there’s nothing wrong with that as long as we eventually regain our sense of balance. Before I start stacking any mile high turkey sandwiches this weekend I’m going to make myself a refreshing cranberry cleanse smoothie.
What makes cranberries a healthy superfood
- The same compounds that give cranberries their incredible color are responsible for many of the health benefits.
- Cranberries are extremely high in antioxidants, which help the body fight cell damage that can lead to cancer and heart disease.
- They’re a good source of Vitamin C ~ sailors used to eat cranberries to prevent scurvy centuries ago (an 8-ounce glass of cranberry juice cocktail contains 137% of your daily value)
- Cranberries are high in fiber
- and low in calories
- Medical research over the past few decades has found that cranberries promote urinary tract health, so if you suffer from UTIs, cranberry juice can help.
- They can help lower blood pressure and may help reduce your ‘bad’ (LDL) cholesterol levels
You can enjoy healthy cranberries all year round ~ just freeze them
Frozen cranberries are just as healthy as fresh, and so easy to freeze
- Literally all you have to do is pop your bag of fresh cranberries into the freezer. You can stack up as many bags as you like.
- If you buy your cranberries loose or in a mesh bag, just transfer them to a sturdy zip lock freezer bag and throw that in the freezer.
- Flatten out your bags and stack them at the back of your freezer.
- Frozen cranberries will last up to a year and can be used just like fresh. In many cases you don’t need to thaw them before using.
Fresh ginger for digestive health
Ginger not only brightens this smoothie, it gives your digestion a boost.
Among the many health benefits of fresh ginger, it has long been used to help with digestive issues. It helps break up gas in the digestive tract, and can calm nausea. Women have relies on it for generations to ease mentruel cramps.
I love it in this smoothie for its zippy flavor. Use it peeled or unpeeled.
the cranberry craze continues all winter
- Cranberry Jelly
- Cranberry Porridge
- Cranberry Breakfast Cake
- Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Chocolate Cake with Cranberry Buttercream
Cranberry Cleanse Smoothie
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 seedless clementine, peeled
- 1 Tbp chopped ginger
- Put the cranberries into a blender. Top with the yogurt, clementine, and ginger.
- Blend until smooth.
- If you use unsweetened yogurt you will want to add some kind of sweetener to your smoothie because the cranberries are so tart. Use honey, maple syrup, or sweetener of your choice, to taste.
- use frozen cranberries to make a frozen smoothie.
Questions and Reviews
Interesting…im not a big fan of this…i used frozen cranberries…my blender wasn’t a fan either lol…after I tasted it i added protein powder…still didn’t help…not sure if its seedy or what..very bitter..anyway not my favorite smoothy
Sorry you didn’t love this one Sherry. It sounds like you might have needed more sweetener. And I’ve noticed some cranberry varieties are ‘seedier’ than others, you might have gotten an extra seedy bunch.