Baked Feta Bruschetta is an easy Mediterranean style small plate made with cherry tomatoes and olives, baked until the cheese is soft and spreadable, the olives are warm and mellow, and the tomatoes have burst into a juicy sauce.
My baked feta bruschetta was inspired by TikTok’s viral baked feta recipe
I don’t know about you, but I don’t get my best recipe ideas from TikTok. I tried it and didn’t think it was all that, but then I had a better idea. This is a much tastier way to do the whole baked feta thing. It’s easy, decadently healthy, and will become your new favorite appetizer.
feta bruschetta is so simple!
Pile it all in a baking dish and bake ~ then smear it all over toasty slices of bread and you’ve got appetizer (and maybe even dinner) sorted.
what you’ll need
- a block of feta cheese, and I highly recommend sourcing the good stuff. Imported Greek feta made from sheep’s and/or goat’s milk is milder than American cow’s milk feta, so even if you think you don’t like feta, give this a try.
- good olive oil, extra virgin is tastiest.
- cherry tomatoes, red or multis.
- pitted olives, use your favorite, but full flavored fresh olives from an olive bar are best.
- shallot, gives a lovely mild onion flavor.
- capers, these tiny berries add the perfect briny touch.
- fresh thyme, you can also use dried thyme or an Italian herb blend.
- a baguette to slice and toast
Baked feta is ideally suited to making ahead. You can toast the bread and assemble the dish early in the day. Put the cooled bread in a zip lock baggie, and store the feta right in the pan, covered in plastic, in the fridge. Bake it when ready.
toast bread for bruschetta the easy way
slice a fresh loaf of bread
- Start with a very fresh loaf of bread. Slice the bread nice and thin, and on the diagonal, so you’ll have more ‘real estate’ for the dip.
brush with olive oil
- Olive oil adds flavor and crunch to toasted bread. Without it toasted bread can be rock hard. I brush only one side of the bread, but you can do both if you like.
toast under the broiler
- Put your baking tray on the second rung down under the broiler flame and toast just until golden around the edges. Flip to toast the other side. For an extra special flavor, slice a clove of garlic in half lengthwise and rub the cut edges over the surface of your toasts.
how to served baked feta
I serve it piping hot with your toasted bread. Provide a spoon or spreading knife for serving and lots of napkins. If it cools down, no worries, this is fine at room temp as well, although the cheese will firm up as it cools.
You could serve this ‘TikTok’ style by stirring in your favorite cooked pasta. It makes an amazing sauce.
Make this a full meal by throwing in some small raw shrimp before baking. Add a simple green salad, some white wine, and you’re done.
easy peasy cheesy appetizers
- herb marinated goat cheese
- wild mushroom and hazelnut baked Brie
- rainbow crudités with fire feta
- how to make an epic cheese board
- baked feta with olives and lemon
- broccoli cheese dip
Baked Feta Bruschetta
- 1 1/2 qt baking dish or the equivalent, mine is an 8x10 oval
- olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 7 ounce brick sheep's milk feta cheese, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pitted olives Note: amounts are approximate, feel free to use more.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved Note: amounts are approximate, feel free to use more.
- 2 Tbsp capers
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, or you can use one teaspoon of an Italian herb blend
- preheat oven to 375F
- Lightly coat the bottom of your baking dish with olive oil. Scatter the shallots over top.
- Add the feta cheese to the dish.
- Add the olives. You can slice larger olives if you like, and keep smaller ones whole.
- Top with the tomatoes.
- Add salt, pepper, and herbs. Take a fork and gently mix everything together, taking care not to break up the feta too much. Drizzle a little more olive oil over the surface.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbling. Serve hot with toasted bread.
notes and variations
To make baguette toasts
- slice a fresh baguette on the diagonal into thin slices.
- arrange on a single layer on a baking sheet.
- brush lightly with olive oil
- broil until golden, then flip.
- broil until golden on the other side.