Banana Spice Muffins ~ these light and fluffy muffins are loaded with banana, warm spices, and lots of oats for a hearty start to the day.
I love this particular mix of spices. I’ve used cardamom where you’d usually find cinnamon, and it makes all the difference. The first bite won’t catapult you right back to the old Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, and that’s a good thing. The aroma is more exotic and sophisticated. Grate the nutmeg over the batter with a micro-plane; you won’t believe the difference it makes. In fact I’m in the process of converting a lot of my spices over to fresh ground….more on that in a later post.
These are light, fluffy and moist. The holy trinity of muffins, as far as I’m concerned. They have a fall-apart texture which I love; the oat flour and oat bran help with that. And the crumble topping gives the whole thing some added crunch and sweetness.
Don’t let the long list of ingredients throw you, it’s mostly spices and basic stuff. You can substitute plain flour for the oat flour, if you must, but I highly recommend keeping some around for baking. It really creates the most wonderful texture. I like to throw in a little oat bran or wheat bran into my muffins whenever I can, too, not only for the health factor, but because I think it makes them lighter.
If you search banana on this blog you’ll find lots of other inspiration for those over ripe specimens on your counter. Some of my favorites are my Banana Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Buttercream, and my Better than Starbucks Banana Bread. But I also love Banana Buttermilk Pancakes, and I often sneak banana into my favorite Bran Muffins.
My policy is to eat one hot from the oven.
You only live once.
Note: 15 seconds in the microwave will bring leftover muffins back to that fresh out of the oven state.
Banana Spice Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- heaping 1/4 tsp cardamom
- heaping 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- heaping 1/4 tsp allspice
- heaping 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter I was out of butter and used coconut oil, it worked fine
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup mashed banana about 2 small
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Set oven to 375F
- Whisk together the above dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, oats, nuts and butter with your fingertips until it is all combined and has a coarse crumb. Set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, banana, buttermilk and nuts. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix together just until blended.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or use liners. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Top with the crumb topping and bake for about 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.