My Brown Sugar Bourbon Icebox Pie recipe with lots of pillowy whipped bourbon mousse piled into a dark chocolate crumb crust and topped with more dark chocolate is a seriously adult treat that might just be the ultimate no bake dessert.
OmG! How good is this? I’ll tell you, it’s super good. Do you remember my Cold Brew Icebox Pie? This no bake pie is along those lines, only…bourbon. And chocolate. Oh my.
Fair warning, this is an adult pie, as in, it’s a cocktail in pie form, so it’s not for the kiddos.
This is an easy peasy option for entertaining because you can whip up the pie in the morning and it will be ready to serve it to eager friends after dinner. Just make sure you have the few simple ingredients on hand, and some good bourbon.
The simple crumb crust is made with those super thin, dark chocolate Nabisco Famous Wafers. If you can’t find them, you can use another dark chocolate cookie, even Oreos will work.
The big, cigar like curls of dark chocolate seemed especially appropriate for topping this decadent pie.
How to make chocolate curls ~
Pretty much any way you break up chocolate, it’s going to be good. You can make easy chocolate shavings by taking a vegetable peeler to a bar of chocolate. Microwaving the chocolate on 50% power for 15 seconds helps soften it. But if you want to go all out with chocolate curls like I did, you’ll need to fully melt some chocolate, along with a bit of shortening or coconut oil…
- Chop 3 ounces of chocolate and add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil (you can also use shortening like Crisco)
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, start with 1 minute, then stir. Add short bursts of 15 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate out thinly on the back side of a baking sheet. Use an offset spatula or spreading knife to get it thin and even.
- Refrigerate the pan just until the chocolate is set but not hard…your finger should leave a print in the chocolate. Check in 5 minutes.
- Starting at one end, test the chocolate by scraping a sharp edged spatula tight against the pan in a smooth motion, creating a curled roll of chocolate. If the chocolate is too soft to curl, put it back in the fridge for another couple of minutes. If it’s brittle and breaks, let it sit out for a couple of minutes and try again.
- Try not to over-handle your curls, they melt on contact with warm fingers, so move them with a toothpick or a fork.
More no bake treats on the blog ~
No Bake Black Bottom Strawberry Cheesecake Squares
No Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Bars
Brown Sugar Bourbon Pie
- 3/4 of a package, or 169 grams, Nabisco Famous Wafers (If you're using pre-made crumbs, it will be 1 1/2 cups of crumbs)
- 5 Tbsp 71 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 3.4 ounce package Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix, be sure to get the instant, not the cook and serve, style
- 1 1/2 cup 360 grams cold heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup 111 ounces bourbon
- 4 Tbsp 48 grams dark brown sugar
- dark chocolate curls
- Lightly spray a 9 inch pie dish.
- Crush the wafers in a food processor or with a rolling pin. Make sure to get them nice and fine.
- Measure out 1 and 1/2 cups of crumbs, and toss with the melted butter until well blended. Press the crumbs evenly into the 9 pie plate, I like to use the bottom of a metal cup measure to help me get them evenly and firmly patted down. Refrigerate.
- Whip 1 cup of the cream and set aside.
- Blend the bourbon and brown sugar together, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. You may want to let it sit for a few minutes. Then blend that into the remaining half cup of cream.
- Whisk the pudding mix with the bourbon infused cream. Whisk for 2 minutes to allow it to thicken. Fold in the whipped cream until no streaks remain. You can gently whisk the mixture if that helps.
- Pour the filling into the crust and smooth out the top if necessary. Refrigerate for 6 hours, or overnight, before serving.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings or curls.
Make this brown sugar bourbon pie your own ~
- I worked on this recipe a few times before getting it just the way I liked it, but it’s possible the bourbon will be too strong for you, and if it is, feel free to reduce it.
- I think you could layer the crumbs and the mousse in dessert glasses for a killer parfait.
- Cut down the calories in the recipe by using whole milk for the non-whipped portion of the cream.
Thanks for pinning!
Questions and Reviews
I’m unable to tolerate chocolate but the bourbon mousse sounds delicious. Can you recommend an alternative crust to complement it? Thanks.
You might try a plain vanilla cookie like Lorna Doone or something like that. Gingersnaps would also work.
Love this recipe! Make it often
Definitely going to try! I think, my family would love it.
Hahaha I’m always down for adult pie!! Sounds FAB!
Adult desserts are always the best 🙂
All of these liquor infused desserts have me so ready for summer celebrations! ThIs recipe is AMAZING!
It’s a festive pie, for sure!
Ooooooooooh!!! This has everything delicious! I love that there’s a good amount of bourbon in it too, so you know the flavor will be really strong!!! And I just love bourbon! Yum!
I really made a point of that Luci, I wanted it to be pretty bold, and it is.
This was amazing, I love all the flavors together! Chocolate and bourbon are a great combo!
Everyone at my house was impressed by this cake! It was SO good!
This is my kind of dessert for sure! Chocolate and bourbon, it doesn’t get much better 🙂 Great for the weekend! Happy Friday 🙂