I’m so excited to share these wonderful, fluffy, moist buttermilk bran muffins with you ~ they’re tender, moist, and full of natural fiber ~ in fact they’re so delicious you’ll forget that they’re so good for you!
I’ve been making bran muffins for as long as I can remember, and at this point, if a muffin doesn’t have bran in it it just feels like it’s missing something. Bran is the outer husk of the grain ~ the healthiest part, full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Sadly, it’s often tossed away when grains are milled into flour. You can buy wheat bran and oat bran in most supermarkets, and I recommend keeping both on hand for quick muffins like these.
I like to use a combination of oat and wheat bran in these buttermilk bran muffins because I think that gives them a lighter texture and sweeter flavor.
Buttermilk bran muffins freeze beautifully, so you can put them in a zip lock baggie and pull them out anytime for a quick healthy snack. You can reheat leftover muffins in the microwavefor 15 seconds for that ‘just out of the oven’ taste.
Also try ~
- Gluten Free Vegan Blender Muffins
- 7 Grain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Multigrain Raisin Walnut Bran Muffins
This recipe is adapted from Ina Garten
- 1/2 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- set oven to 350F
- Mix the brans with the buttermilk and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Then the molasses and vanilla and blend it well.
- In another bowl sift the dry ingredients together. Add in the raisins and nuts.
- Mix the dry into the wet until just incorporated, don't over mix.
- Fill 10 muffin cups and bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Make it your own ~
- Try adding chopped apple, banana, or berries to these muffins.
- Substitute pecans or almonds for the walnuts, or leave the nuts out entirely.