Chocolate Dipped Pretzels are the answer when you need something sweet in a hurry. Great for holidays, gifts, parties, or just emergency snack attacks.
Even the best holiday planners need a little last minute help now and then. I used to be one of those crazy Christmas moms who started in the middle of summer. I’m sure friends and family thought I was a little wacky, but I really enjoyed getting that head start. I love the holidays and love to stretch them out as long as I can. But times change…kids grow up and the magic fades a little. Now I get their wish lists in hyperlink form.
And funnily enough I actually enjoy rooting around the pantry for something festive to whip up the day before. There’s something almost relaxing about it, knowing you’re not going to go out, no matter what, and you’re going to make do, somehow.
What could be easier, or more delicious, than pretzels dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with sprinkles? Crunchy, sweet, and salty ~ they’ve got it all going on. And it’s probably all in your pantry ;)
I actually got this idea while I was flipping through my mountain of holiday catalogs in bed the other night. I came across somebody selling a set of 24 of these for…get this…$69.99! I guess people will pay almost anything to have someone else take care of last minute business for them, but really…we can make them so much better and SO much cheaper right now, right here.
I used dark chocolate, white “chocolate” (not technically chocolate, but white confectionary) and melted butterscotch chips for my pretzels. The dips are easy to melt in the microwave, and will stay molten for quite a while. (You can reheat them if they thicken.) If you are skittish about melting chocolate, see my Tips and Tricks for Melting Chocolate. Then I went to town with my collection of sprinkles, and also used some crushed peppermint and some crushed toffee for good measure.
Once the chocolate has hardened these pretzels can be bagged or boxed for gifts. They’ll keep for about 2 weeks.
Everybody loves these, the sweet salty combo gets ’em every time.
More inspiration for easy last minute treats to make from the blog ~
Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- Pretzels any shape you like.
- 1 and 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips use milk chocolate if you prefer
- 1 and 1/2 cups butterscotch chips milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups Wilton white candy melts
- assorted sprinkles
- Lay out a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper on your work surface.
- Put the chocolate into a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup or other wide but small microwave safe bowl, and microwave on high for 60 seconds. Stir. Put it back in for 15 second bursts if the chocolate is not all melted. Be sure not to overheat the chocolate, let it sit and allow the heat of the glass to finish melting all the lumps.
- Dip the pretzels, one at a time, into the chocolate and let the excess drip off before laying them on the paper. Shower the chocolate with sprinkles immediately, while it is still wet.
- Let the pretzels harden at room temperature before packaging them.
- Each type of chocolate will make about 20 pretzels for a total of 60, if you use all three.
Make these chocolate dipped pretzels your own ~
I love the idea of customizing them for different occasions like Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Easter, etc. Use Wilton colored candy melts to make them any color you can imagine.
If you want to avoid the sprinkles, used crushed nuts, or drizzle the dipped pretzels with a contrasting color.
I used pretzel rods and knots for dipping, but you could also use nuggets or thin sticks as well. If you want to use the thin sticks, bunch 2 or more together before dipping.