Dill Pickle Potato Salad ~ this creamy potato salad packed with pickles will become your favorite spring and summer side, perfect for barbecues, picnics, and potlucks ~ better print off lots of copies of the recipe, everyone’s going to ask for it!
Oh my, this dill pickle potato salad is to die for.
I made it for dinner and guess what? It was gone by lunch. Oh well, some things are too good for this world. Like this dilly-icious potato salad. I tripled down on the dill, it’s in the dressing (pickle juice) it’s in the salad itself (plenty of diced pickles) and in the garnish (fresh dill). So much dill to love…
Use your favorite potato in this salad, I’m partial to baby Dutch yellow potatoes, in fact for this one I used the itty bitty pee wee variety. But even if you use super tiny potatoes, make sure you cut them at least in half ~ if you leave them whole, they won’t absorb any of the wonderful flavors.
TIP: Grandma’s secret: toss the potatoes with a generous amount of the dressing while they are still warm, they’ll absorb it much better that way.
I chopped up 3 pickles and tossed them with the potatoes, green onions, and dill. Use more if you’re into it.
I highly recommend you try this ~ it has all the great qualities of a classic potato salad with the added boost of flavor and texture from the dill and the pickles. If you’re a dill pickle lover, this is your summer side! As for the pickles themselves, use your favorite brand…even better, make your own ~ my Quick and Spicy Refrigerator Pickles would be perfect in this salad. The nice thing about that recipe is that the pickles are ready to eat the next day.
What is it about dill pickles? When you love them, you reeeeaaaaally love them, almost to the point of obsession. Remember my Dill Pickle and Brat Soup? I made that darned recipe 3 times in one week, I couldn’t get enough!
Do you know anyone who’s pregnant? It would be fun to bring her a big batch of this dill pickle potato salad, I know she’d appreciate it! And you HAVE to bring this to your next potluck, people are going to mob you for the recipe 🙂
TIP: Don’t know if anyone cares, but the mayo I always buy is Best Foods Real Mayonnaise. Not low fat. Not Miracle Whip (sorry mom). But if you want the very best, make my Homemade Mayonnaise ~ it’s ready in 30 seconds!!
Dilly Pickle Potato Salad
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp pickle juice
- salt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 24 ounces baby potatoes do not peel
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 2-3 dill pickles chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh minced dill
- 2 hard cooked eggs quartered
- fresh dill
- chopped dill pickles
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together, and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Put the potatoes in a pot with lots of cold water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and boil gently until they are just tender. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.
- Halve or quarter the potatoes, depending on their side, and put them in a large bowl. Toss with a generous amount of the dressing.
- Add the onions, pickles, and dill and toss again. Top with the eggs. Refrigerate for at least an hour or two to let the flavors develop. Add more dressing before serving if necessary. (you may not need all of the dressing.)
- Garnish with extra dill and chopped pickles.
notes and variations
- I usually slightly under cook my potatoes, better a little firm than too mushy. Use the tip of a sharp knife to check on them.
- Can you use other types of pickles? Absolutely! Use half sour, bread and butter, or even gherkins.
- Potato salad benefits from a few hours in the refrigerator to allow to flavors to develop and marinate, make it early in the day.
Thanks for pinning this amazing Dill Pickle Potato Salad!