Homemade Muesli is one of the original ‘health’ foods, invented by a Swiss doctor in 1900. It falls somewhere between granola and oatmeal — it’s lighter than granola because it isn’t roasted with oil, and it’s served cold, which makes it perfect for summer, If you’re in a hurry and you want healthy oats for breakfast, this is the way to go.
The beauty of muesli cereal is that you can make it the night before, stash it in the fridge, and top it with fresh fruit in the morning for a super healthy super quick breakfast. The rolled oats soak up the liquid and become soft and delicious.
I went crazy for the berries at the farmer’s market yesterday. They even had wild black raspberries, which are my favorite berry in the world. I was dazzled by all the different varieties, and a line was starting to form behind me, so I settled on four…tiny strawberries, wild black raspberries, yellow and orange raspberries. I had to leave behind the wild blueberries, blackberries, and red raspberries.
You can’t hesitate with fresh summer berries. I once went berry picking in the heat of July, came home, set my stash on the counter, and before I could rinse and eat them they were covered in fuzz. Ripe, just picked berries hover on the edge of rotteness. That’s part of their charm. Don’t think too much about it, just eat.
For a vegan or Paleo version of this recipe, use coconut milk, or almond milk in place of the dairy milk. It will be just as good or better!
When you find amazing summer berries, be sure to buy extra, and then freeze or dry them for future use. They’ll never be as good as this again for another year! See my post on How To Dry Strawberries for specifics.
Also try ~
- 2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp pistachios
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp hazelnuts
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (or cinnamon)
- 1 cup milk, coconut milk, or almond milk (plus more for serving)
- 1/2 grated apple
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- assorted summer berries, rinsed
- Set the oven to 350F
- Spread out the oats and nuts on a baking sheet. Toast for 10 minutes.
- Pour the milk on the oats and stir.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to chill and let the oats absorb the milk.
- Mix the grated apple with the lemon juice and mix into the cereal.
- Serve topped with berries, and add more milk and a little honey if you like.