Double Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie…if those words don’t send a little shiver down your spine then you might not be firing on all cylinders…just saying.
A warm double chocolate chip cookie falls into a category of desserts that I just cannot resist, so basically I don’t make them very often. One of the first things I ever learned to bake was the classic Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie pie, and I’ve had a weakness for giant cookies ever since. I had to whisk this one away to my daughter after I had my obligatory test slice. It’s fall-to-your-knees good, especially if you sneak a piece before it’s fully cooled and still a little melty in the middle. “Omg” and “this is the best thing I’ve ever eaten” are the stock responses to this thing.
TIP: Be careful not to over bake this skillet cookie, they are relatively thin and will go from just done to over done in a matter of a couple minutes. It’s always better to err on the side of under cooking something like this.
This double chocolate chip skillet cookie is a super easy one bowl recipe, with ingredients you’re likely to have on hand. It’s perfect for last minute snack attacks or unexpected guests. Eat it warm for an ooey gooey experience, or let it cool for a firmer bite. Either way, you win :)
TIP: To quickly warm up a cold stick of butter, unwrap and cut it in 4 slices, then microwave for 15-20 seconds. To take the chill off a cold egg, put it in a small cup of warm water for a few minutes.
For another variation on this (delicious) theme, check out my OUTRAGEOUSLY DELICIOUS ALMOND BUTTER SKILLET BROWNIES! (And yes, it’ll work with any kind of nut butter you like!)
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder (I like Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (10 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350F
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together until well blended. Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
- Toss in the flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt and mix just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough into a 10 inch cast iron or non stick skillet, spreading out evenly.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, until just set in the center.
- Let cool a bit before slicing.
Make it your own ~
- Add walnuts to the batter if you love nuts.
Don’t forget to pin this Double Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie!