My Easy Raspberry Slab Pie is a luxe dessert for berry season ~ I’ve used refrigerated pie crust to make it quick and easy, just add tons of fresh berries, invite a few friends over, and enjoy!
Fresh raspberries are so special, when I taste them I get a flashback to all the summers of my life smushed into one brief sensation. Same thing when I get a whiff of mown grass or get my nose right down into a lilac branch. It doesn’t happen with strawberries, blueberries, or any other berry, for that matter, just raspberries. Weird. But cool.
I get that using 24 ounces of fresh raspberries is a bit extravagant, but a raspberry pie has a wow factor that you just won’t get with a regular blueberry or apple pie. I’ll understand if you only make this during the height of the season ~ and if you’re lucky enough to be able to pick your own, then so much the better.
Pickyourown.org is one of my favorite resources on the web, it will guide you to all sorts of fresh picking opportunities in your area.
Toss your berries with sugar (I use my homemade vanilla sugar) some cornstarch for thickening, and a splash of lemon juice to maintain that tart berry flavor, I never want my fruit filling too sweet.
I always go for a balance of sweet and tart in my berry desserts for the best flavor.
This pie is a wonderful extravagance that might come only once a year, but that makes it all the more special.
Other fresh raspberry recipes to try~
- Individual Raspberry Pavlovas
- Fresh Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream (regular and no churn)
- No Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Bars
Raspberry Slab Pie
- 2 packages containing 2 single crusts each refrigerated pie crusts, or dough for 2 double crusts
- 24 ounces fresh raspberries
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- cream for brushing onto the pie crust optional
- coarse sugar for dusting optional
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Take two of the pie crusts and layer them one on top of the other. Roll them out of a floured surface to fit a 9x13 pan. the dough should come up the sides about 2 inches.
- Toss the berries with the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Turn them out into the pan and spread them out evenly.
- Layer the remaining 2 pie crusts and roll out to fit over the raspberries. I just rolled the dough and used the bottom of the pan as a guide to cut the dough to the exact shape.
- Cut a few slits in the dough to allow steam to escape while baking. Brush the crust with cream and dust with sugar, if using. Bake for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Let cool before slicing.
Make it your own ~
- Make it from scratch ~ of course I encourage you to make your own pie crust if you have the time, I like this recipe, it’s foolproof.
- Make it with blueberries or blackberries, or mixed berries.
- Make it with frozen berries ~ no need to thaw them.
- Make it a crisp ~ substitute the raspberries for the rhubarb in my favorite crisp recipe. It’ll be gluten free, too!
- Make it red white and blueberry ~ add some homemade wild blueberry ice cream on top.
don’t forget to pin this raspberry slab pie