Bourbon Fried Peaches with Ice Cream is a perfect way to close out the summer season, and I just had to share it before I move on to apples, pumpkin, and all that other good fall stuff.
Fried peaches is a Southern conceit, and in Georgia, where they grow more peaches than they know what to do with, they grill, roast, stir fry, pan fry, and even deep fry them. Oh my. These bourbon fried peaches takes just a few minutes to throw together and you’ll get a HUGE payoff — this is Dessert with a capital D.
Whip out your handy serrated peeler and peel up a few ripe peaches. Then get some butter sizzling in your cast iron skillet, and throw in the peaches. Douse them with a shot of good bourbon or whiskey, and a touch of brown sugar, and let them bubble away for a few minutes. If you zoom in close you can see flecks of vanilla bean in there too. The vanilla goes so well with the bourbon, the hot peaches, and the cold ice cream, this dessert is everything.
There is something so irresistible about warm fruit with ice cream, and it doesn’t have to be complicated — when you’re short on time, this is just as good as a pie or crumble.
TIP: You can freeze summer peaches to make this later…just peel and slice the peaches, then lay them out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and put in the freezer until the peaches are frozen solid. Then pack them in zip lock freezer bags and squeeze out the excess air before zipping them up.
Bourbon Fried Peaches with Ice Cream
- 4-7 peaches
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Peel the peaches. I like to use my peeler with a serrated edge, it cuts right through soft fruits and veggies like peaches. Slice the peaches.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat and then add the peaches, lemon juice, sugar, bourbon, and vanilla. Bring everything to a boil and let it bubble away for about 5 minutes, tops. Just enough to slightly thicken the sauce and soften the peaches.
- Serve the peaches in individual bowls topped with vanilla ice cream.
- Nectarines work great like this, too, and probably any other stone fruit.
- Try Amaretto in place of the bourbon.
- Add some chopped toasted pecans on top if you like.
- Use water for a non-alcoholic version.
don’t forget to pin it!
Also try my Roasted Plums with Ice Cream ~