Grilled Chicken Greek Salad ~ if you love a great main course salad in the warmer months like I do, then this vibrant Greek salad topped with lean grilled chicken breast will win you over for sure. It’s a light but totally satisfying meal.
*I’m partnering today with Vital, a spice company with a cool new concept. They gather spices from around the world and offer them up in perfectly curated Exploration Spice Box collections so you can cook authentic International dishes at home. Today we’re visiting Greece & the Aegean islands!
Everybody’s had a grilled chicken salad before, but when you tweak it just a little to give it an authentic Greek spin, you get something really special. My Greek Exploration Spice Box has everything I need to give this salad a Mediterranean vibe. I step up my chicken breasts game with a mint and lemon rub, along with minced garlic and oregano. The classic olive oil and lemon dressing gets a boost from Vital’s traditional Greek herb mix.
The key to getting a tender moist grilled chicken breast is to grill it briefly in a grill pan to get those pretty and flavorful char marks, but then to transfer the chicken to a moderate oven to finish the cooking gently. And definitely don’t overcook it, the meat is done when it registers 165F on a thermometer, and that only takes about 10 minutes in the oven.
TIP: Buy thin sliced chicken breasts, or slice them in half yourself so they are not too thick. (You can also pound them thinner) Thinner breasts will cook quickly and evenly and won’t have a chance to get rubbery.
I let the chicken cool briefly and then slice them on the bias for perfectly tender juicy chicken. Allow 1/2 ~ 1 breast per serving, depending on how hearty you want your salad.
TIP: I used skinless boneless breasts, which are lean and healthy, but the herb rub gives the chicken the appearance of a crisp skin without the extra saturated fat ~ it’s a win win.
My Greek Exploration Spice Box includes ~
- Mint Powder
- Mint & Lemon Rub
- Greek Herbs
- Minced Garlic
With this little collection you can make all kinds of Greek inspired recipes. I’ve dabbled in Greek food on the blog, and they’ve become some of my favorite recipes, like my GREEK MEATBALLS IN LEMON SAUCE, and my GREEK STYLE STUFFED ARTICHOKES.
If you love to cook International food but don’t have the knowledge or the access to specialized spices, you might like the idea of Vital’s Exploration Spice Box Membership ~ you’ll get a new spice collection delivered 4 times a year, to coordinate with the seasons. It makes a great gift, too, for anyone who loves to cook.
- 2 thin skinless boneless chicken breasts
- Vital Mint & Lemon Rub, Oregano, and Minced Garlic
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- a small head of romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and chopped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup crumbled or cubed feta cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 1/2 to 2 lemons (add more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Vital Greek Herbs
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Set oven to 350F
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Brush chicken breasts lightly with olive oil and rub both sides with a light coating of the Mint & Lemon Rub, Minced Garlic, and Oregano. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until you get nice grill marks. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and registers at least 165F in the center. Set aside.
- Put the lettuce in a large salad bowl.
- Put the onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and cheese in a separate bowl. Toss with enough of the dressing to moisten. Add this mixture to the salad bowl with the lettuce. Add the grilled chicken and drizzle with more dressing just before serving.
- When you use dried spices, crush them between your fingers to revive the essential oils as you add them to your recipes.
- You might try grilled shrimp in place of the chicken in this Greek salad.