Grilled Shrimp with Pomegranate Salsa is a super healthy, gluten free, low carb, low calorie, Paleo meal that also happens to be beautiful and fabulous! Oh, and did I mention it’s ready in 30 minutes?
I’ve said it so many times before, but some of you are new here, so I’ll say it again — salsa is the perfect food! And it makes so many other foods better. It’s a hero, and I make it all year round, rain or shine, heat wave or Arctic Blast. What’s fun is coming up with seasonal variations, like this pomegranate version.
When I make salsa variations, I don’t stray too far from my basic formula…in other words, I don’t try to fix what ain’t broken. Finely chopped sweet and sharp red onion, a minced jalapeno (seeds and all of course,) fresh lime and cilantro, salt and pepper. It’s full of zingy flavor.
The grilled shrimp is really just an excuse to gobble up the salsa, although personally I could be happy just eating it with a spoon. I threaded peeled shrimp onto soaked wooden skewers, alternating with lime wedges for a simple dish.
A quick brushing of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and chipotle chili powder is all it needs, besides a screaming hot grill. Dinner is ready in about 4 minutes.
I like to lay the skewers right on a plate of greens and serve the salsa on the side.
This would work with other types of fish, too, like salmon or halibut. Any fish, really, that you can cut into chunks would work. You can marinate it or not, I prefer not, I just five it a good squeeze of lime as it comes off the grill.
You’ll basically burn off the calories in this dish while you are making it. Good deal, huh?
Grilled Shrimp with Pomegranate Salsa is a super healthy, gluten free, low carb, low calorie, Paleo meal that also happens to be beautiful and fabulous!
- about 16 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, leaving the tail on.
- 1 lime, cut in half, and then into thin wedges
- the juice of 1 lime
- chipotle chili powder
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- arils (seeds) from one pomegranate
- 1/3 medium red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced, seeds and all
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water while you prep everything,
- Thread shrimp and lime wedges alternately on each skewer.
- Brush the skewers lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and the chili powder, on both sides.
- Pre heat a grill pan until quite hot. Cook the skewers for about 2 minutes on the first side, and a minute or so on the second side, just until the shrimp are done.
- As you take the shrimp off the grill, give it a good squeeze of lime juice, and serve the shrimp immediately, over a bed of lettuce with the salsa on the side.
- To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients and mix. Taste to adjust the amount of lime juice.