How To Make A Gingersnap Pie Crust ~ a simple cookie crumb crust perfect for holiday pies and no bake summer desserts ~ just as easy, but so much tastier than a plain graham cracker crust!
my gingersnap pie crust is as easy to make as a graham cracker crust, but oh so much better!
Try this variation out on your favorite pies that call for a crumb crust, I think you’ll be amazed at how much personality it adds to so many different recipes. Ginger goes with lemon, chocolate, and fruit of all kinds, so experiment away! And let’s face it, while we love our fancy pie crusts, we’re not always up for the work. Crumb crust rule during the holidays!
why use gingersnaps for a crumb crust?
- Gingersnaps are crisp dry cookies, so they crumble beautifully.
- When you use gingersnap cookie crumbs to make a crust you have instant flavor built right in from the get-go, no need to spice or season any further. The warm flavors of cinnamon, cloves, and ginger add another flavor dimension to your recipe.
- The ‘spicy’ color is lovely and adds to the look of your dessert.
which gingersnaps do I prefer for making crumb crust?
I like to use the extra thin crispy gingersnaps for this recipe, and my go-to brand is Nyakers, from Sweden, but any gingersnap cookies will work, so go with what you can find. The crumbs freeze well, too, so you can make them ahead for later use. Just pack them into heavy duty zip lock bags and squeeze out the extra air.
put your delicious gingersnap crust to good use ~
- Lemon Ice Box Pie
- Grapefruit Gingersnap Pie
- Cranberry Gingersnap Pie
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake
- Lemon Cheesecake
Gingersnap Crumb Pie Crust
- 5 ounces gingersnaps, (or about 1 heaping cup gingersnap cookie crumbs)
- 1 cup walnuts, optional – (you can omit the nuts and add 1/2 cup more gingersnap crumbs and 1 Tbsp more butter)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter or grease a 9 inch pie plate.
- Put the gingersnaps in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and process until they are fine crumbs. You may need to pulse the machine as well to get all the cookie pieces crushed. See note below if you don't have a food processor and would like to do this by hand.)
- Add the walnuts, and sugar and process again until everything is finely ground. Add the butter and process briefly to combine.
- Pat the crust into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate, and up the sides. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool before filling.
Questions and Reviews
Hi. I am using a 27cm pie dish which is 4cm larger than the 9 inch pie dish. By how much should I increase the ingredients? Would increasing them by half be enough? Thanks.
I think increasing by half would work Sarah, but I’m not sure about the exact math on this one, sorry!
I had a hard time spreading out crumbs evenly and up the side. However it I
I had a hard time breading the crumbs evenly in the pie pan. Do you have any suggestions? I certainly want to make this recipe again it was delicious.
Are you using a pie plate that’s larger than 9 inches Willa? If so you may need to increase the recipe a bit.
Sue, is the brown sugar lightly measured or is it packed down in each tablespoon measured? Maybe you would have said packed, if that was to be done?
Going to use this crust with your No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake. YUM!
I would very lightly pack it to measure a tablespoon, but not much. Sounds like a wonderful idea!
Thanks for your reply, Sue. We were going to get our strawberries today until it started raining. Tomorrow after church, we’ll go get the strawberries and make ourselves this delicious crust for your No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake. Makes me hungry just thinking about it!
Sue? It says best for no bake fillings, so not to be baked twice!? Do you think I could not bake crust , then add my cheese pumpkin filling & bake all at once?
Alot of questions but I making for our Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend! Your reply is requested.
The issue here is that the gingersnaps tend to get too browned. I would not pre-bake in that case. And Happy Thanksgiving!