The Frozen Turkey is a delicious dessert cocktail for Thanksgiving and beyond ~ this spiked ice cream milkshake made with Wild Turkey bourbon and amaretto is guaranteed to become a new holiday tradition.
The Frozen Turkey is a dessert cocktail for the adults at the table!
Let the kids have at the pies, this bourbon and amaretto laced butter pecan ice cream concoction is where it’s at. Reserve plenty of real estate on the holiday dessert table for this, I’m telling you, it’s going to be a huge hit. It’s dessert and after dinner cocktail rolled into one delicious frozen treat. Oh, and it takes just a few seconds to make…your holidays just got a whole lot sweeter!
what you’ll need to make a Frozen Turkey cocktail
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream ~ use your favorite brand, I’m partial to Häagen-Dazs.
- Bourbon ~ Wild Turkey of course.
it’s the winterized version of my favorite summer drink, the Hummer
This one gets dressed up with a quick drizzle of caramel sauce for the holidays. It’s sensational, but I don’t think I really even have to bother to try to describe the flavors and the textures of this, do I? I think you can imagine it just fine on your own…somehow it’s warm and cozy even though it’s frozen ~ go figure!
how to make a Frozen Turkey Cocktail
Scoop a pint (or 2, depending on how many are joining you) of butter pecan ice cream into a blender. No need to soften the ice cream first, since it’s going to be blended.
Add the bourbon and amaretto to the blender. You can make this as mild or as strong as you like, but I add an ounce of each per pint of ice cream. No judgement here if you want to go with more, this is a cocktail, after all!
Now blend until combined!
finish your Frozen Turkey with a drizzle of caramel sauce
You can buy it readymade, but really, this is such a cinch to make. The caramel sauce gets nice and chewy when it hits the cold ice cream and makes the best topping. Give everybody a spoon with their cocktail glass and stand back. You won’t hear any complaints.
The Frozen Turkey Cocktail
- I pint container Häagen-Dazs butter pecan ice cream
- 1 oz Wild Turkey bourbon
- 1 oz Amaretto
- Make the caramel sauce by mixing the sugar, cream, butter and salt in a saucepan and heating to a simmer. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Continue to boil for about 3 full mintues. Be careful not to let the mixture boil over, as it will foam up in the pan.
- Pour the mixture into a heat safe jar, and let cool. It will thicken as it cools.
- For the cocktail, scoop the the ice cream into a blender, along with the bourbon and the amaretto. Blend until it reaches your desired texture. I like my cocktail to be on the thick side.
- Serve in cocktail glasses garnished with a drizzle of the sauce. Serve asap.
- If you'd like to make this ahead, put the whole blender back in the freezer after blending and then give it a quick re-blend right before serving.
- Experiment with other combinations of ice cream and liquor!