Flourless Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies ~ these gluten free cookies are made without flour or butter, and they beat your favorite chocolate chip cookie by a mile!
I am blown away by these cookies. 1 bowl, 5 ingredients, 8 minutes in the oven…these cookies have revolutionized my life. I am not kidding when I tell you they are every bit as good as the classic Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies that I’ve been making for years, except they contain absolutely no flour, and no butter. And they take half the time. I don’t know if it’s chemistry or just plain magic, but I will never go back to conventional chocolate chip cookies again. Why would I? These are my new favorite cookie.
The cookie dough itself is a revelation. There’s no need for multiple bowls, bringing butter to room temperature, chilling anything before baking, or any other hassles, for that matter. This cookie would be the ideal first baking project to do with your kids, and how great for busy parents, who really want to give their families the joy of home baking, but don’t have the time and energy to devote to big kitchen projects. It’s great for college students with limited kitchen privileges, the gluten intolerant, and people who just want to eat more conscientiously. I love this cookie!
TIP: If you are using all natural almond butter for these flourless almond butter chocolate chip cookies, be sure to stir it well to incorporate any excess oil before measuring it out.
Here’s the fun part — there are so many nut butters on the supermarket shelves now, and even more you can whip up yourself with a food processor. Combine them with the variety of chips, both chocolate and otherwise, and you’ve got a treasure trove of easy flourless cookies for the baking season.
Try my other flourless nut butter cookies!
I’m still stunned that these decadent chocolate chip cookies are so simple— try them, and let me know what you think!
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350F
- Crack the egg into a medium bowl and beat it lightly. Add in the almond butter, baking soda, and sugar and mix everything together well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. I use a (1 3/4 inch) scoop, but you can use a tablespoon. Space the cookies well apart, and flatten them slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Don't overbake these, the cookies will look underdone, but they will firm up as they cool.
- Let them cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer them carefully to a cooling rack.
- You can use commercial or ‘natural’ almond butter for these cookies, although the type you use will alter their texture slightly. I found the best texture was with 1/2 Jiff almond butter and 1/2 natural almond butter.
- I owe this cookie epiphany to my good friend and inspirational blogging buddy Mary, her 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies started it all.