Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies ~ this amazing gluten free cookie recipe is made without any flour, or any butter, and they hold their own against any chocolate chip cookie out there! Healthy cookies ~ who knew?
I made these cookies as a follow up to my popular Flourless Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
I fell in love with those exactly 5 weeks ago. Today I made the same cookie, only with peanut butter. I’m equally wild about these, they have that same rich, moist texture and tons of flavor.
These peanut butter cookies are crazy simple to throw together!
Just whisk the egg, sugar and baking soda with the peanut butter, and fold in the chips. You will always have the ingredients on hand, they bake up soft and rich with pb and chocolate, and they freeze perfectly. What more could you ask of one little cookie?
This flourless cookie batter is unlike any you’ve worked with before
Be aware — after you mix up the batter you’re going to freak out because it looks just like a bowl of peanut butter with some chips thrown in. But keep the faith — scoop it out, flatten each ball slightly, and bake them up. You’re going to get some delicious cookies, and I know I said it before but I’ll say it again…I don’t think I’ll ever bother making regular chocolate chip cookies anymore, I don’t see the point. These have the all the good qualities and none of the hassle.
Do you love your cookies soft and chewy?
If you’re looking for crunchy cookies, these aren’t for you. But if the idea of soft, pillowy cookies with lots of peanut flavor and plenty of chocolate presence appeals to you, I know you’ll be pleased. And for those of you who eat gluten free, I think these are a nice option without all the complicated gluten free products.
This recipe is simple, so the details are key to success
I list a series of tips at the end of the post. Those tips hold for other baking projects as well…is your oven calibrated to the right temperature? Do you always measure your ingredients in the correct type of measuring cups? Do you pay attention to the size of your eggs? It’s all important stuff when it comes to baking.
Tips for making flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies:
1. Make sure you use a large egg. Since most recipes call for large eggs as the default size, that’s the size I always buy, so there’s never a question.
2. Measure the peanut butter in a dry ingredients measuring cup, not a liquid cup. (Liquid measuring cups are the ones made out of clear plastic or glass, with measuring lines on the side.) Make sure you get a full cup of peanut butter, I know it’s messy.
3. Don’t forget the baking soda.
4. Do make sure you pack your brown sugar into the measuring cup.
5. Don’t get greedy and use more than 1 cup of chocolate chips or the cookies will not hold together.
6. Do not make these cookies too large, or they will not hold together. Use the 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop, or a tablespoon and they should be about the size of a walnut. If you make them smaller, be sure to bake them for less time.
7. Be sure to flatten the scoops of dough slightly for even baking. Dampen the back of a spoon or knife before you flatten to prevent sticking.
8. Food stylist’s trick: After you flatten the cookies, stick a few extra chocolate chips in cookies that don’t have any chips showing on top — you’ll get that perfect chocolate chip cookie look after they’re baked.
9. Make sure your oven is at 350F when you put the cookies in. I keep a small, inexpensive oven thermometer in my oven at all times so I can be sure.
10. Let the cookies cool briefly on the cookie sheet so they can firm up. They will be fragile when warm, so handle them carefully.
That’s it, you should be good to go!
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter, I used Jiff
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, or use milk chocolate
- Set the oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg, brown sugar and baking soda together in a bowl. Make sure to break up any lumps in the sugar so that the mixture is smooth. Stir in the peanut butter and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop onto the baking sheet with a 1 1/2 inch baking scoop (or use a tablespoon), and space the cookies 2 inches apart.
- Flatten the cookies slightly, and bake for about 10 minutes until puffed and just beginning to turn golden around the edge. Don't over bake, they will still be soft, but will firm up as they cool.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a rack.