New Potato and Sweet Pea Salad ~ this is a spring version of the old standby barbecue/picnic potato salad. It uses the tiniest new potatoes you can find, and fresh garden peas.
Bring this healthier, updated potato salad to your next potluck or barbecue and you’ll get rave reviews, guaranteed.
The dressing is a lightened up equal parts mayo and Greek yogurt blend, and you can tip the balance in either direction you like. The flavor is brilliant thanks to fresh lemon juice, fresh dill and lots of snipped chives.
Have you come across Peewee potatoes?
They’re the size of large grapes! They cook up quickly and I think they look so cute in this salad.
Look for the smallest potatoes you can find.
They’ll come in plastic packages or little netted bags. Halve or quarter them them if they are on the larger size. I put the salad together while the potatoes are hot so they have a chance to absorb the flavors from the dressing.
Don‘t be shy with the fresh dill and chives. The more the better.
Fresh peas make all the difference in this potato salad
I just blanch the peas for a minute or so in boiling water to take the raw edge off. There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that you’ve used fresh garden peas, but the blanching brings out their flavor and improves their texture and color. The lemon juice and yogurt make a really zingy dressing, and a little mayo keeps it from being too delicate.
More summer salads to love ~
- Sour Cream and Onion Potato Salad
- Corn and Cucumber Salad
- Rainbow Bean Salad
- Greek Lemon Potato Salad
New Potato and Sweet Pea Salad
- Whisk the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add the fresh peas. Let cook for about a minute or two, then drain and cool the peas immediately in a bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- Cover the potatoes with water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are just tender, when you can pierce them easily with the tip of a sharp knife. Drain and add the hot potatoes to the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat the potatoes.
- Add the herbs, cooled peas, and salt and pepper to taste. Don't skimp on the herbs or the salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate until very cold. Check the seasonings and toss again lightly just before serving.