Sour Cream and Onion Potato Salad is a fun barbecue side dish the whole family loves ~ and yes, there are potato chips right in the salad!
the minute I saw this sour cream and onion potato salad recipe (in Bon Appetit) I knew I had to make it.
I have a total weakness for chips, and this idea sounded too good to pass up. This potato salad borrows that famous salty/tangy/oniony flavor from my favorite chips and then doubles down on the theme ~ the whole thing is topped with crushed chips!
In fact, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about other chip-flavor-potato-salad ideas ~ Cool Ranch is next up.
what you need for this recipe
- small waxy gold potatoes ~ they have a nice, firm texture, no need to peel them.
- red onion
- sour cream
- fresh chives
- garlic powder
- Sour Cream and Onion potato chips
- salt and pepper
grandma’s potato salad secret ~
Did your grandma let you in on the secret? You need to add part of the dressing while the potatoes are still hot and steaming, which allows them to soak it up and really boosts the flavor. Reserve the other half of the dressing for later, that way it doesn’t all get sucked up and you’ll get a nice healthy coating on your salad.
yes, there are actually potato chips in this salad!
The all important garnish of slightly-crushed chips is a super fun touch, and makes a great textural contrast to the potatoes. Yes, they do eventually get soggy, so I recommend adding them just before serving, or you can keep them on the side.
I think this potato salad would be a big hit at any bbq or potluck this summer. Kids, adults, they all love it, and when you tell them what it is, they get super excited to dig in. I can attest that it goes excellently with a grilled brat.
Still craving potato salad?
- Ranch Potato Salad ~ a homemade ranch dressing gives this salad incredible flavor!
- Greek Lemon Potato Salad ~ I’ve always been partial to Mediterranean flavors and this citrusy salad is wonderful.
- Dill Pickle Potato Salad ~ this one’s for you pickle lovers, you know who you are!
- New Potato Salad with Eggs and Mustard ~ a gutsy salad that definitely stands out on the potluck table.
Sour Cream and Onion Potato Salad
- 3 pounds small-medium waxy gold potatoes no need to peel
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 package chives, snipped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed Sour Cream and Onion potato chips
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil your potatoes in well-salted water until tender. I used about 2 tsp of salt.
- Drain and slice your potatoes in halves or quarters, depending on desired size.
- Stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, half of the chives, and salt and pepper to taste. I used bout 1/4 tsp salt, and a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper.
- While the potatoes are still warm, toss them with about half of the dressing. This will allow them to soak in some of it.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, then toss them with the onions and the remaining dressing.
- Chill the potato salad for at least a couple of hours, and then garnish with the remaining chives, and the Sour Cream and Onion chips. (Yes, the chips will get a little soggy after a while, so add them at the last minute, or keep them on the side for people to garnish their own servings, if you’d like!)