My No Bake Vegan Thin Mint Cookies are hopelessly addictive, just like the ones you buy from your favorite Girl Scout ~ but my copy cat recipe is shockingly easy to make ~ hold on to your hats, these babies come together fast!
Thin Mints are one of the world’s great cookies and everybody should be able to enjoy a homemade thin mint cookie no matter what your diet.
No Bake Vegan Thin Mint Cookies are just the latest in my series of homemade thin mints ~ I’m attempting to make these delectable cookies six ways from Sunday and I’m only just getting started. This particular version miiiiiiiight just be my favorite because it’s so easy, and the flavor and texture is perfect. But if the classics are your thing, then get after my original HOMEMADE THIN MINTS. And if you don’t do the flour thing, check out my GLUTEN FREE THIN MINTS.
Why go to the trouble of making your own thin mints when you can buy them? The answer is a simple one…it’s all about the chocolate. When you use your own real chocolate the flavor is far, far superior to almost anything commercially made. End of story.
TIP: All of my homemade thin mint varieties can be stored in the freezer, and make a great frozen treat!
Making homemade no-bake vegan thin mint cookies is easier than you might think, and you don’t need any unusual ingredients. Baker’s Semi Sweet chocolate is conveniently milk free, and Oreos just happen to be vegan, so they make the perfect pairing for this no bake cookie. Just twist the two sides of your sandwich cookies apart and scrape off the centers (what you do with all that cream filling is none of my business.) You’ll dunk those cookies in melted minty chocolate, and refrigerate to set, that’s all there is to it.
TIP: The flavoring is KEY in this recipe. Make sure you buy PEPPERMINT, not spearmint or generic mint, otherwise your cookies will taste like toothpaste…for real. And make sure you buy EXTRACT or OIL, not flavoring, or your chocolate can seize up from the water in the flavoring. You won’t have a problem if you use McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract.
FYI, if you want to skip the step where you separate the Oreos ~ just dip the entire sandwich cookie into the chocolate, no one’s stopping you. In fact, I think I just saw mint centered Oreos in the store the other day, so there you go!
No Bake Vegan Thin Mint Cookies
- 12 Oreo sandwich cookies, separated, cream center removed
- 12 ounces Bakers Semi Sweet Chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract or oil, or more to taste
- Put the chocolate and the coconut oil in a small glass bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir, then put back in the microwave for another minute. Stir to melt all the chocolate. If there are still lumps, microwave very briefly again. Stir in the peppermint extract. You may add more if you want a stronger mint flavor, but I suggest tasting it first.
- Using a fork or chocolate dipping tool, dip each cookie into the chocolate and gently flip over to completely coat. Gently tap off the excess chocolate by rapping the fork against the side of the bowl, and lay the cookies on a parchment covered baking sheet. When you have finished all the cookies, put the pan in the refrigerator to harden the cookies.
- I like to store the cookies in the refrigerator and enjoy them cold.
- If you love a great no bake cookie and want another variation, try these LAZY NO BAKE THIN MINTS. And did you know I even have a recipe for EASY NO BAKE WHITE CHOCOLATE THIN MINTS? I’m not leaving any stone un-turned, trust me!
Don’t forget to pin these No Bake Vegan Thin Mint Cookies!