No Churn Dulce de Leche Ice Cream is a discovery of epic proportions…not only is it no churn, meaning you don’t need an ice cream machine to make it, but it takes just 2 ingredients, and it stays perfectly creamy and scoopable even overnight in the freezer. You’re definitely going to scream for this one.
I know I’ve nagged you about getting yourself an ice cream machine. I truly believe it’s a must-have in any kitchen, but I have to say this recipe proves that it’s not absolutely absolutely necessary to get incredible results. This might just be the creamiest, most scoopable ice cream I’ve ever made, and the caramel flavor is unreal. If you’re looking for an easy no-churn recipe that’s reliable and insanely delicious, this is it. It’s a keeper.
The key ingredient, besides cream, is dulce de leche. It’s a Latin American treat that translates as ‘sweet milk’. That is, sweetened milk that’s been gently heated until it literally turns into a thick caramel. You’ll find it next to the sweetened condensed milk in your supermarket, or you can get it from Amazon, here. You’ll need 2 small cans for this recipe.
If you love caramel, this is your dessert, the texture is mind-blowingly smooth, silky and… custardy! I’m racking my poor brain for adjectives here — this is truly unlike anything I’ve ever had before.
It’s even thick and rich when it melts!
*recipe adapted from Onion Rings and Things
- 1 pint cold heavy cream
- 2 13.4-ounce cans dulce de leche
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks. You can do this with electric beaters, but I like to do it in my food processor, just watch it carefully because it only takes a minute or so.
- Blend the dulce de leche into the whipped cream. Again I find the food processor is easiest. I just pulsed it several times to combine.
- Spread the mixture into a loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Scoop and enjoy! (Start with small portions, it's rich!)
- Keep in mind that this ice cream needs longer to set, I think overnight is best. It will still be perfectly scoopable in the morning.
- IF you’re the type that likes to guild the lily, you might consider adding some hot fudge sauce to this ice cream…just saying.
- Can’t find dulce de leche and don’t have time to get it from Amazon? You can actually make your own using cans of sweetened condensed milk, directions here. And you can make it in your crock pot, too, directions here.
don’t forget to pin it!