Nutella Magic Shell ~ this rich chocolate hazelnut sauce hardens on contact with anything cold, and turns plain ice cream into a magical dessert for kids of all ages.
It was right about this time last year that I originally wrote about MAGIC SHELL
I made a dark chocolate version and a white chocolate one. It really is like magic—two simple ingredients combine after just seconds in a microwave, to become a liquid sauce that hardens into a candy-like shell on contact with something cold, aka ice cream. The white chocolate version was particularly beautiful draped over dark chocolate ice cream. If you want the basic Magic Shell recipe, go to my HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MAGIC SHELL. I think everyone should know how to do it, even if you only make it once or twice. (Which isn’t likely, btw)
This latest homemade magic shell recipe substitutes Nutella for the chocolate as the base for the sauce.
Genius, if I do say so myself, and it’s THE WORLD’S easiest project, and one of the most fun. The secret to the magic is in the coconut oil, which solidifies at 74 degrees. It hardens on contact with the cold ice cream, so whatever it’s mixed with hardens too.
Why make your own magic shell when you can easily pick it up a bottle at the supermarket?
You can bypass all the additives, and customize it for your (or your family’s) taste. Once you’ve melted up a batch of your homemade magic shell, it has a long shelf life, too. It stays liquid at room temperature, so you can pour a little on your ice cream any time the mood strikes.
Tip: the type of coconut oil you use will affect how much coconut flavor comes through in your chocolate sauce.
I used virgin oil, which is unrefined, and it has a very strong coconut flavor. If you want the Nutella flavor to dominate, use a refined coconut oil. Both will work, and both are delicious, it just depends on your preference.
More frozen and fabulous treats ~
- Chocolate Frozen Custard
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Watermelon Kiwi Pospsicles
- Healthy Popsicles to Make with Kids
Nutella Magic Shell
- 1 13 oz jar of Nutella
- 3 heaping Tbsp coconut oil coconut oil is a solid at room temperature, so measure when solid
- Put the Nutella and the coconut oil in a microwavable glass bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. If the coconut oil is not completely melted, micro for another few seconds. Stir the mixture until it is completely smooth.
- Pour into a jar with a tight fitting lid and store at room temperature until ready to use.
- Pour over ice cream and watch the magic happen!
Don’t forget to pin this homemade Nutella Magic Shell