Orange Walnut Oat Bran Muffins are a healthy and delicious way to start the day. Oat bran gives them fiber and lots of vitamins and minerals
When you feel like something warm and comfy for breakfast, but still want to eat healthy, bran muffins are the answer. Bran is simply the outer layer of a grain like wheat or oat, and it’s usually removed when the grain is milled into flour. But the bran itself is super healthy, full of vitamins and fiber, and makes fabulous muffins.
TIP: Look for bran in the specialty flour section of your supermarket, and sometimes in the bulk bins.
TIP: For a more pronounced orange flavor use 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract.
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk (shaken)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- rolled oats and sugar for sprinkling
- set oven to 350F
- Spray or lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Mix the oat bran with the buttermilk, sour cream, orange juice, extract and zest. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients together along with the walnuts and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the oat bran mixture.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and walnuts.
- Fill 8 or 9 muffin cups and top with a sprinkle of oats and sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until lightly golden, a toothpick will come out moist but not wet.
- Bran muffins reheat well, just microwave them for 15-20 seconds.