Orange Walnut Oat Bran Muffins are a healthy and delicious way to start the day. Oat bran has lots of fiber along with vitamins and minerals. Orange juice and zest give these easy muffins great flavor, and walnuts give them crunch!
When you feel like something warm and comfy for breakfast, but still want to eat healthy, bran muffins are the answer. Bran is simply the outer layer of a grain like wheat or oat, and it’s usually removed when the grain is milled into flour. But the bran itself is super healthy, full of vitamins and fiber, and makes fabulous muffins.
TIP: Look for bran in the specialty flour section of your supermarket, and sometimes you also find it in the bulk bins.
I love all types of bran muffins, but oat bran makes a particularly tender muffin, so it’s a good place to start if you’re new to the concept.
TIP: For a more pronounced orange flavor use 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract.
- Bran muffins reheat well, just microwave them for 15-20 seconds.
- To freeze these muffins, wrap individually in foil, then put in sturdy zip lock freezer bags.
Orange Walnut Oat Bran Muffins
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk shaken
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- rolled oats and sugar for sprinkling
- set oven to 350F
- Spray or lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Mix the oat bran with the buttermilk, sour cream, orange juice, extract and zest. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients together along with the walnuts and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the oat bran mixture.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and walnuts.
- Fill 8 or 9 muffin cups and top with a sprinkle of oats and sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until lightly golden, a toothpick will come out moist but not wet.
Make these orange walnut oat bran muffins your own ~
- Use any other nut you like in place of the walnuts.
- Use tangerine juice and zest.
- Use wheat bran and wheat flour in place of the oat bran and oat flour.
- Add raisins if you like.