My Moroccan Orange Salad is a fruit salad like none you’ve ever had before, I promise! With fresh juicy oranges paired with earthy oil cured olives, tons of fresh parsley and a burst of cayenne, this Middle Eastern citrus salad will blow you away.
This stunning and healthy Moroccan orange salad can be made all year round, but it will be a burst of sunshine during the winter months when citrus season is in full swing. It’s low carb, gluten free, vegan, whole 30 and Paleo compliant.
Citrus salads are rooted in Mediterranean cuisines. In Sicily it might be as simple as sliced oranges dressed with parsley, olive oil and black pepper. Sometimes there will be red onion, or fennel, and a variety of fresh herbs. I threw some crumbled feta on this salad at the last minute.
ingredients for Moroccan orange salad
- fresh oranges
- I used navel oranges but blood oranges or Cara Cara oranges would work just as well.
- fresh parsley
- lots of fresh parsley is key to this salad, so don’t skimp! I use flat leaf Italian parsley.
- intense oil cured olives give this salad a real punch. Use Kalamata olives instead, if you prefer. Make sure they’re pitted!
- olive oil
- use a good fruity extra virgin olive oil
- Sherry vinegar
- or other white vinegar like champagne or white wine
- cayenne and paprika
- salt and pepper
why this orange salad works
This salad is a winner. The salty tang of the Greek olives with the sweet juiciness of the oranges and the hint of cayenne pepper is taste I want to return to a lot this winter when oranges are at their peak.
variations on this Moroccan orange salad
- Make it with other citrus fruits ~ this would be wonderful with blood oranges, tangerines, or pink grapefruit.
- Add thinly sliced fennel
- Top with crumbled feta cheese, coat cheese, or shavings of Parmesan cheese.
Moroccan Orange Salad
- Peel the oranges, paring away all the exterior white pulp. Cut each orange into wedges. Cut each wedge into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Place the cayenne, paprika, garlic, olive oil and vinegar in a salad bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and whisk to combine. Add the oranges, parsley and olives. Toss gently to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature.