How to Make Homemade Irish Cream ~ this diy Bailys Irish Cream is a perfect copy cat of one of my favorite liqueurs. It’s dangerously delicious, and ridiculously easy to make. Grab your favorite Irish whiskey and some good fresh cream…and prepare to be amazed.
homemade Irish cream takes just 6 ingredients and 5 minutes!
Irish Cream has always been a favorite of mine, and this from scratch version tastes even better than the bottled stuff. As much as I love the original, there is something just a little sketchy about the idea of bottled cream. Fresh ingredients take this classic Irish liqueur to a whole new level.
what you’ll need to make Irish cream
When you make it yourself you know exactly what’s going in your liqueur: quality ingredients and nothing else.
- cream ~ this is a rich mixture. You can lighten up by using half and half.
- whiskey ~ Irish of course. I use Jameson Irish Whiskey for a classic flavor, but you can certainly experiment with other brands or even other spirits.
- condensed milk ~ this gives the liqueur its characteristic silky texture.
- vanilla extract ~ brings all the flavors together.
- instant coffee ~ make sure you’re using instant coffee, not ground coffee.
- cocoa powder ~ you can also use a chocolate syrup if you have it on hand.
does this homemade liqueur really taste like Irish Cream?
It’s spot on, I wouldn’t change it in any way, and I highly recommend mixing up a batch for St Patrick’s Day. You can serve it on the rocks, in a White Russian, or in an after dinner coffee. I like it straight up in tiny vintage cordial glasses. If you have any recipes that call for Irish Cream, use this instead.
how to store your homemade Baileys
Store your homemade cream liqueur in the fridge, and use it within a couple of months. But I promise you it will not last that long.
how to serve homemade Irish cream
- on the rocks ~ this rich drink is wonderful ice cold.
- in coffee ~ makes the best Irish coffee you and your friends have ever had!
- over vanilla (or coffee) ice cream ~ create a unique Irish version of affogato.
- mixed in a cocktail ~ there are so many to choose from.
- as a dessert shot ~ tiny glasses of this liqueur make the perfect ending to any meal.
How to Make Irish Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp instant coffee or instant espresso
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Irish whiskey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Put a tablespoon of the cream in a bowl and add the espresso and cocoa powder. Mix these together until both powders are completely dissolved and there are no lumps.
- Add the rest of the cream, while stirring, or gently whisking.
- Add the whiskey, vanilla, and condensed milk and blend everything well. Note: alternatively you can put everything in a blender and blend briefly to combine. Don't blend too long or you can risk whipping the cream.
- Pour the mixture into a bottle with a top, and refrigerate until needed.
- This will keep in the fridge for at least a couple of months, and probably longer, but I’m pretty sure you will polish it off before then 😉
- Lighten this up by using half and half instead of heavy cream.
- Add more espresso or more cocoa powder to change the flavor profile to your particular liking.
- For more DIY liqueurs try my ultra-rich pumpkin liqueur, or, my Nutella liqueur.
- For a lighter, fruitier experience, try homemade fruit liqueurs ~ these fresh fruit infused vodkas make great cocktail mixers.