Try my Sweet and Spicy Bar Mix whether you’re celebrating the beginning of a New Year or the end of a busy week, this snack mix recipe will be your best friend. The only downside is that you really can’t stop once you start!
My sweet and spicy bar mix is unassuming but irresistible!
Since we’re not going to bars and pubs right now, I thought I’d bring a little bit of that atmosphere home with this simple pretzel mix. Depending on your point of view, you might think this easy recipe is fabulous, or dangerous, and I have to say, it’s a little bit of both.
It’s not often something so simple ticks so many of our cravings: you’ll get sweet, salt, spice, toasty caramel, umami, butter, and crunch in every bite.
What you’ll need:
- pretzel sticks ~ I like to use the skinny ones, anything else is too bready for the mix
- almonds ~ whole raw, skin on
- pecan halves ~ spring for the halves, it makes a big difference
- sesame sticks ~ any brand
- butter ~ I used unsalted
- brown sugar
- garlic powder ~ not garlic salt, which would make the mix too salty
- chipotle powder ~ substitute cayenne, chili powder, or smoked paprika
- cinnamon ~ I’m falling in love with this complex spice all over again
What makes this snack mix recipe a keeper
I adore snacking on those little bowls of goodies they serve in bars, but for some reason it never occurred to me to try to recreate one at home. One homemade batch and I’m convinced this is the best appetizer ever. You might think they’re just a random assortment of snacks tossed together, but there’s a method to the madness:
The secret that transforms a pile of pretzels and nuts into an irresistible snack is a coating of warm butter, brown sugar, and spices.
When you toast the coated mix in the oven it brings out incredible layers of flavor.
The sesame sticks (or an equivalent) are key to tying the whole thing together, so try not to skip them.
Just add your drink of choice and you’ll be in heaven, promise.
Sweet and spicy bar mix makes the BEST host gift on the planet
Just bag it up in cellophane, fill a mason jar and add a cute wooden lid, or pop it into a food storage container.
More snack mixes to try
Sweet and Spicy Pretzel Mix
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (or foil)
- Put the pretzels, nuts, and sesame sticks in a large bowl.
- Heat the butter, sugar, and spices in a small saucepan until the butter has melted, the sugar has dissolved, and everything is well combined.
- Pour over the pretzels etc, and toss very well to get everything evenly coated.
- Spread the mix out in a single layer on one or two baking sheets. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, but watch it so it doesn't burn if your oven runs hot. You can give it a stir once during baking if you like, but it's not absolutely necessary.
- Let cool before storing. The mix will last up to 2 weeks.