Our Christmas Popcorn Snack Mix is sweet, salty, crunchy, and super fun to eat. This easy chocolate covered party mix is ready to fuel you through your next Netflix binge or holiday playlist, on repeat, natch.
Christmas popcorn is a holiday tradition that makes other holiday traditions extra merry and bright…
We’re missing out on so many of our favorite holiday traditions this year, it’s enough to make this holiday loving girl downright blue. Best to focus on the fun we still can have, like cookie baking marathons, sitting by the fire, trimming the tree or hopping in the car to see holiday lights in the neighborhood…a mug of festive chocolate coated popcorn will fit right in.
The sweet/salty flavor profile is what it’s all about
It’s not just you, lots of people find the combination of sweet and salty irresistible. You might not realize it, but salt enhances our perception of sweet, and vice versa! We’re hard wired to crave sweet and salty foods, but put them together in one bite and most of us can’t say no. That’s the guiding principle here:
- chocolate for melting
- pretzel sticks
- white chocolate covered pretzels
- flaky salt
But this is the kind of recipe where you don’t have to color inside the lines ~ let your imagination play.
- toasted nuts like pecans, walnuts, peanuts or almonds
- different types of chocolate like milk or white, or other meltable morsels like butterscotch or peanut butter
- caramel corn
- cereal like Chex, Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes, etc. ~ channel your inner 6 year old here.
- dark chocolate covered pretzels
- peppermint candies, crushed
- your favorite mini candies like mini peanut butter cups or Andes Mints. You can find almost everything in tempting mini sizes these days.
Storage and gifting tips
Christmas popcorn will last a few days. I would store it in a jar or storage container, at room temperature.
If you want to give it as a gift, I’d make it shortly before giving. It looks pretty in large mason jars, or you can bag it up in cellophane bags.
You could even bag up a pretty mug filled with the mix and give a double gift.
I’m serving my popcorn snack mix in Caskata holiday themed mugs
I’m paying more attention to the little details this year since everything else is so wacky and out of our control. Little things like serving snacks in pretty dishes makes a difference in our mood, whether you have kids at home, or not. Now if you’ll excuse me I’ve got to grab my mug and get back to Elf…
More super easy holiday treats ~
- Easy No Bake White Chocolate Thin Mints
- Two Ingredient Toasted Hazelnut Bark
- Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- Naughty and Nice Party Mix
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels, popped (aprox. 15 cups popped)
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, or chopped baking chocolate
- flaky sea salt
- 1/2 cup red and green M&M's
- 2 Tbsp red, green, and white sprinkles
- 1 1/2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 1/2 cups white yogurt covered pretzels
- Line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and spread the popped popcorn over it.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave using short bursts. Stir until completely smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn, and immediately sprinkle with the M&M's, sprinkles, and a little salt. Do this while the chocolate is molten so the toppings stick to it.
- Allow to harden at room temperature. Then break the popcorn into chunks (whatever size you like.)
- Mix the chocolate covered popcorn with both of the pretzels, and enjoy!
*Caskata sent me a selection of dish ware to enjoy this season.
Questions and Reviews
Great, easy and fast to make and give to friends and family. Thank you for the post.
Glad you enjoyed it Janet!
Love everything u do!
This. Is. Fantastic! I can get some bowls from Dollar Tree and fill them with this instead of 5-6 different cookies and/or brownies on each tray for the neighbors! Genius! Thanks!
Where would be be without the Dollar Tree ~ it’s perfect for this!
This looks like a great idea to add to my gift boxes this year. What is the shelf life in a closed bag once made? Thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes!
This is a fresh product without preservatives, so I’d only give it a week, Jennifer.