Turkish Coffee Shortbread Cookies are buttery and delicious with a striking flavor combination of strong coffee and warm cardamom ~ these are cookies to linger over!
Turkish coffee shortbread cookies are buttery cookies with an intense cardamom-laced coffee flavor.
I’m giving you added value because these cookies are dipped in thick, bittersweet chocolate. Without doubt, they’re a sophisticated, adult treat.
Actual ground coffee is used in the batter for these shortbread cookies.
Yep, those are flecks of actual coffee beans in there. We’re not fooling around with the coffee flavor here.
I’ve always had a mild obsession with the flavors of Turkish Coffee
The complex flavors of coffee and cardamom linger on the palate and make for a really unique cookie. They go perfectly with (you guessed it) a nice cup of coffee!
I’m always looking for suggestions, what’s the most unusual cookie you make?
Notes for making Turkish coffee cookies ~
- Use room temperature butter, I find that the dough comes together a lot easier that way.
- Make sure to mix the dough thoroughly so that there are no dry crumbly bits before you try to roll it out.
- If you want a thicker layer of chocolate, once the cookies are set, give them a double dip. You will need more chocolate in this case.
Turkish Coffee Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp finely ground coffee espresso or french roast Use less for a more subtle effect.
- 1 Tbsp ground cardamom use less for a more subtle effect.
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chips, or cut in small pieces
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Set oven to 350F
- Put the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and add the butter and salt. Mix together until combined. It doesn't have to be completely smooth.
- Mix in the flour, cardamom, and ground coffee until the dough just comes together.
- Pull the dough together with your hands and set on a floured surface. Roll out to about 1/4 inch.
- Cut out the cookies using your preferred cookie cutter, I used a 2" round.
- Transfer the cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To make the chocolate coating, put the chocolate and vegetable oil in a small Pyrex measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir until melted.
- Dip half of each cooled cookie in the chocolate, and let the excess drip off. Set the cookies down on parchment paper to harden.
Don’t forget to pin these Turkish Coffee Shortbread Cookies!
Other shortbread cookies you might want to try ~
- MILK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES ~The View From Great Island
- MEXICAN CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD COOKIES ~ Recipe Girl
- PISTACHIO SHORTBREAD COOKES ~ The View From Great Island
- LEMON BASIL SHORTBREAD COOKIES ~ A Beautiful Plate