Turmeric Tea, or golden milk, has legendary anti-inflammatory properties, so give this ancient home remedy a try if you’re stuffed up, sore, or coughing. It makes a great calming bedtime drink, too, even if you’re perfectly healthy.
Turmeric tea is an effective home remedy and a delicious restorative tea!
How are you feeling? A little under the weather? Tired? Stuffed up? Not quite yourself? Turmeric might be just what the doctor ordered. Turmeric is the bright yellow spice that gives mustards and curries their vivid color. In raw form it’s a little root-like thing, related to ginger, only a deep vivid orange inside. The color is so intense that it was originally used as a dye, but turmeric milk, or tea, has also been used in India as a healing drink for thousands of years, and lately Westerners have discovered turmeric in a big way. It has one of the longest lists of health benefits of any food known to man, from healing cuts to slowing the growth of cancers, and Alzheimer’s disease.
I made mine with coconut milk, but you can also use Almodm Milk, or regular dairy milk, it’s up to you.
Other delicious ways to stay healthy the natural way ~
- 2 cups light coconut milk, full fat coconut milk, or almond milk
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 peppercorns
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- honey to taste
- Gently crack the cardamom pods open with a rolling pin, being careful not to lose the tiny black seeds. Break the cinnamon stick in two.
- Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Bring the tea back up to a simmer, then strain into warm mugs.
- Top with a little ground cinnamon, if desired.