At the first sign of a cough or sniffle, skip the trip to the corner drugstore and make up a batch of this All Natural DIY Pineapple Cough Syrup ~ it’s effective, and delicious!
I have to confess, I’m a big fat sissy when it comes to medicine. I’d much rather suffer a cough than down some of that nasty stuff they sell over the counter. I cringe just thinking about it. So when I read about the surprising cough suppressing benefits of pineapple, I was all over it.
The deal is that pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain, which is a natural anti-inflammatory, and it’s been proven to help control coughing and mucus. I mixed it with ginger, another natural anti-inflammatory, honey, a throat soother, warming chili pepper, and astringent lemon to make a potent but delicious cough remedy. At the first sign of a tickle in your throat, mix up a batch and keep it in the fridge. Take it as often as needed; it will give you a nutrition boost with each dose! It’s easy to mix up in a blender, and it will keep in the fridge for at least a week or more.
This is a real godsend if you have kids who aren’t keen on yucky cough syrup, or if you are just trying to avoid the extra ingredients and side effects of mass produced medications. The proportions in this recipe are approximate, so you can play with them to suit your taste. Young children may not want the cayenne, and some adults might appreciate even more than I’ve added.
TIP: Be sure to use fresh pineapple — you can juice it if you have a juicer, or process it in a blender or food processor. Canned or pasteurized juice won’t have the same benefits.
There’s quite a bit of controversy about whether pharmaceutical cough medications have any effect at all, and lots of professionals have come out and recommended simpler, homemade remedies as being just as effective, and cheaper. This one has the added benefit of being delicious!
I have other soothing recipes on the blog to help you through the flu season ~
- DIY HIBISCUS AND LEMON COUGH DROPS are another natural way to ease a cough and sore throat.
- My TURMERIC TEA is a nurturing tea that soothes, and de-stresses, too.
- My GREEN GODDESS IMMUNE BOOSTING SOUP is a delicious way to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to staying healthy.
Don’t let a cough ruin your holidays, mix up a batch today!
- 2 thick slices of fresh pineapple, peel removed, but core intact (about two good cups)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (omit or reduce for children)
- a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced or rough chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- Give the pineapple a rough chop, including the core, which is not only edible but particularly healthy.
- Blend everything up in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Use as is, or push the mixture through a mesh strainer to get a smoother syrup.
- Keep in the refrigerator and take as needed.
- Do not give anything with honey to children under 1 year old.
- If you have a persistent cough, seek medical attention.
don’t forget to pin my all natural pineapple cough syrup!
Other homemade remedies to try—
Homemade Cough Remedy | Barefeet in the Kitchen
Honey Thyme Cough Syrup | Cafe Johnsonia
Onion Honey Cough Syrup | The Clean Dish
Honey and Lemon Tea | Simply Recipes
Garlic Honey Sore Throat Remedy | Healthy Green Kitchen
DIY Honey Cough Drops | Bakeaholic Mama
Hibiscus and Lemon Cough Drops | The View from Great Island
Cough-Be-Gone Tea | The Clean Dish