This recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes has been tantalizing me all week. I adapted it from the Joy of Cooking. This unexpected combination is a refreshing change from regular pancakes and it’s perfect for a special occasion or just any time you want to treat yourself!
So many lemon recipes suffer from the wimp factor. They add a tablespoon of lemon juice or the zest of one lemon and then have the nerve to call themselves a lemon this or a lemon that. It’s criminal.
And it’s the same thing with poppy seeds. People seems to think that a tablespoon or two entitles them to emblazon the words poppy seeds all over their recipe title.
I assure you that these pancakes have earned their name fair and square. Lots of lemon flavor, lots of poppy seed crunch.
If you’re a fan of the delicate crunch that poppy seeds bring to a recipe, you’ve come to the right place. I’ve used them in lots of delicious ways, from a basic LEMON POPPY SEED DRESSING and POPPY SEED MAYONNAISE to ALMOND POPPY SEED FRENCH TOAST and even AMARETTO POPPY SEED ICE CREAM!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest of two lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, blend the wet ingredients together and fold in the poppy seeds.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix just until combined, don't over mix, you want your pancakes to be fluffy! Lumps are fine.
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle until lightly golden on both sides.
- Serve hot with maple syrup.
Oh, I know you’re wondering, and yes, maple syrup does go with the lemon, in fact the flavors complement each other beautifully.
Did Citrus Week get all that citrus fever out of your system? Not me. Not a chance. I think it actually inflamed my passion. And now I’ve got all the recipes that didn’t make it into this week’s posts sitting there tempting me! Have a great weekend!