Salmon with Kiwi Salsa is an easy 30 minute meal whether you roast it in the oven or pop it on the grill…the buttery fish and the tart tropical kiwi are made for each other ~ why haven’t we done this before?
So many varieties of fish and seafood lend themselves to serving with salsa, it’s hard not to put this kind of meal on repeat all summer long. And why shouldn’t we? It’s good for us, beautiful, and not a splurge at all when you buy whatever fish is in season.
Salmon season is May to September or October, so even though you see it all year long, definitely build it into your menu plan more often during these months. It will be at its best, and cheapest.
I just love the way the glossy kiwi salsa tumbles over the salmon…and we get to call this dinner? How lucky can we get.
The beauty of a meal like this is that it’s practically effortless, and it can be adapted to any time of year. I especially love it during the warmer months when the salmon and so many fruits are in season, but this meal brightens up a drab winter evening like nothing else! The sweet/tart pineapple/strawberry flavor of kiwi works so well with the onion, hot pepper, cilantro and lime. I could eat the whole bowl.
Salmon with kiwi salsa is a great recipe to persuade fish-avoiders to give it a go. The fish is so mild and sweet, and when you pair it with fruit it becomes super appealing. Try this out on kids, but be sure to leave out the hot peppers in the salsa. My girls loved ‘pink fish’ when they were young, and gobbled it up. Another good recipe for introducing salmon to non-believers is my Farfalle with Salmon, the creamy lemon sauce gets ’em every time 🙂
Tips for perfect Salmon with Kiwi Salsa ~
- Look for kiwi that is firm but not rock hard ~ it should yield to gentle pressure, but not be mushy. I prefer the flavor of the green over the new ‘golden’ variety.
- A kiwi will continue to ripen on the counter for a few days.
- The best way to peel a kiwi fruit is with a serrated vegetable peeler. I use mine often for soft fruits and veggies like peaches and tomatoes.
- I prefer to serve this salsa within a few hours of making it, when the kiwi has the best texture. Like most other fruit, it starts to deteriorate after it has been cut.
Also try ~
Roasted Salmon with Spicy Kiwi Salsa
- 4-5 kiwi fruit
- 1/4 inch slice medium to large red onion
- 1 hot red pepper, use 1/2 the pepper for less heat
- palm-ful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime, more to taste
- 4 salmon filet, about 1/2 lb each (for this dish I like to use thinner wider filets rather than tall slices...see photos.)
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp butter, optional
- Set oven to 425F
- Peel the kiwi, trim lends, and cut in small 1/4 inch dice. Put in a bowl.
- Cut the onion slice in a 1/4 inch dice and add to bowl.
- Mince the red pepper and add to bowl along with the cilantro and lime juice. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment and arrange the salmon filets on it. Tuck the lemon slices under the edges of the filets. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. I sometimes dot with butter if I'm feeling extravagant. (If you use salted butter cut the amount of salt you use to season the fish.) Roast or grill the fish for 20 -25 minutes, or until it flakes with a fork and is not longer dark pink inside.
- Serve the salmon topped with a generous amount of kiwi salsa.
Make it your own ~
- Make it on the grill ~ this salsa is perfect for the charcoal grill!
- Make it with a whole side of salmon ~ this would be stunning served as a whole side of salmon, 2 1/2 pounds or more for a special occasion. Find large cuts at fish markets, Costco, or ask at the fish counter of your supermarket. Serve the fish with a big swath of salsa going down the center.
- Make it with another firm fish like halibut, cod, trout, or tuna.
- Make it with another salsa ~ I have lots to choose from!
Questions and Reviews
I LOVE this recipe.
It’s seriously good.
This looks really lovely and I’m thinking of trying it tonight. I have friends who are eating carb free. What would you suggest serving with it along side?
I’ve been loving simple steamed green beans lately, they’re in high season right now. Broiled tomatoes provencal, with Parmesan and herbs, would be easy and good, too. And you can always go with a salad or slaw, I’ve got tons of inspo in my recipe section 🙂
Beautiful Sue! Love the pairing of salmon with kiwi 🙂
I SOO love salmon. It is one of my favorite fish to roast (or grill!). Can’t wait to make this. Gorgeous, too.
Looks and sounds delicious Sue! Can’t wait to try it!
So summery and full of flavours! I can never get enough of salmon 🙂
What a beautiful dish, you’ve reminded me that the first time I ever tasted kiwi it was served with fish, lemon sole in fact some decades ago:-)