Apple Walnut Zucchini Bread ~ if you could pack late summer/early fall into a bundt pan and bake it up, this is what you’d get, a moist cake loaded with shredded zucchini, crunchy walnuts, and chunks of tart Granny Smith apple. A sweet nutmeg glaze finishes it off.
I don’t know about you but when I start to crave fall and it’s still a month or more away I start to bake in an effort to will it into existence. Kind of like doing a little rain dance to bring on the cooler weather. The downside is that this doesn’t usually work. The upside is you get some pretty nice things to snack on while you wait for the temps to drop.
Apples, walnuts, zucchini, some pantry staples and a bundt pan are just about all you need to turn your kitchen into a fall wonderland. You can whip it up in one (big!) bowl, which makes this zucchini bread recipe clean up friendly, too.
Bundt cakes are ideal for brunch or lunch entertaining because they make a pretty presentation and they can serve a crowd.
I love to bake with zucchini, want to see more?
Tips for making the best apple walnut zucchini bread ~
- Use a standard sized bundt pan, I used this one from Wilton.
- Prep your pan well. Mine was new, so all I needed was a light spray, but if yours is older, butter it well, and dust with flour.
- If possible, grate your zucchini with the grating blade of your food processor rather than a box grater, because the shreds are bigger, dryer, and show up better in the baked bread.
- Chop your apple into a small dice…I chopped mine a little too big and I didn’t like the random chunks in the cake.
Apple Walnut Zucchini Bread
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (you can also use a nut oil (I love walnut oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg, more if you love it
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour, remember to fluff it first, then scoop, then level for an accurate measurement.
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced (do not peel)
- 1 1/2 cup rough chopped walnuts
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- milk or cream to thin, several tablespoons
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F Spray a nonstick bundt pan with cooking spray, or lightly butter and flour the pan, tapping off any excess flour.
- In a very large bowl whisk the eggs, sugar, and oil together. Blend in the spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold in the flour, then zucchini, apple, and walnuts. Turn into the bundt pan and smooth out if necessary.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it (moist crumbs are fine.)
- Let cool 10 minutes, then loosen the cake around all edges with a blunt knife, and invert onto a platter or cooling rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk the sugar with enough milk or cream to make a pourable glaze. Start with 3 Tbsp and work up from there. Add freshly grated nutmeg to taste.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and top with a dusting of crushed walnuts.