A great dip deserves a great chip, like my homemade baked pita chips in 5 flavors ~ you control the ingredients in these healthier chips!
I have to admit it, we go through a lot of chips in our house. And normally it’s a lot more common for me to make a homemade dip and serve store bought chips with it. But every now and then we’ll put all our focus on the chips. These flavorful and crunchy baked pita chips are a family favorite ~ they can turn even store bought dip into a special appetizer.
what you’ll need to make these baked pita chips
The secret to a great baked pita chip is pretty simple ~ you’ll need a pastry brush, and some olive oil. A really good olive oil makes a big difference in taste, so I use the good stuff.
- fresh pita bread
- use homemade pita bread for extra special chips!
- extra virgin olive oil
- spices and seasonings of your choice
- sesame seeds, black or white
- fresh cracked black pepper
- red chili flakes
- onion salt, or onion flakes
- cumin seeds
how to make homemade pita chips
- Slice fresh pita bread into triangles. They can be skinny or fat, it’s your call.
- Arrange them on an un-greased baking sheet.
- Brush the triangles with extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle your toppings over the oil.
- Pop them in a 375F oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until they’re golden.
Different brands of pita bread yield different results, so experiment to find what works best for you. A soft pillowy pita will make a softer chip and a thinner pita bread will bake up crunchier.
TIP: If you want a super crunchy chip, brush both sides with olive oil, and flip them halfway through the cooking.
flavor variations for baked pita chips
One benefit to making your own chips is that you can control the ingredients. Use heart healthy olive oil, and make them salt free, if you like. The topping options are endless:
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- chipotle chili powder
- smoked sea salt
- taco seasoning
- lemon pepper
- truffle salt
more homemade crackers and crisps
Baked Pita Chips 5 Ways
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Brush the tops of the pita triangles liberally with olive oil. Sprinkle on the toppings of your choice.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden.
- Store any extras in a plastic bag at room temperature.