My hot chocolate bombs are better because they make a deliciously rich cocoa with real chocolate ~ no powdery hot cocoa mix or plastic mold required!
most hot chocolate bombs are a great idea gone wrong
Let me put it this way ~ would you rather have a cup of cute hot chocolate, or delicious hot chocolate? (I thought so.)
I picked up a package of hot chocolate bombs in my supermarket the other day when it was really blustery and cold and the idea seemed so tempting. Commercially made hot cocoa bombs are cute, and it’s fun to watch them explode in warm milk, but all you get in the end is a cup of mediocre cocoa, at best. I figured I could do it better, and I was right!
homemade hot chocolate bombs the easy way
They look like giant truffles because they are giant truffles. And when they melt in a mug of hot milk they make the hot chocolate of your dreams. This is because you’re using real chocolate and cream ~ the only 2 ingredients you need to make amazing hot chocolate. Aside from chilling your ganache, they only take 20 minutes to make.
what you’ll need to make real chocolate hot cocoa bombs
Or, more importantly, what you won’t need: no special plastic mold, or readymade hot cocoa mix. Our from scratch bombs are easier and better than the rest.
- the thing that sets these cocoa bombs apart from others is real chocolate instead of cocoa powder. It results in a richer, thicker hot chocolate with a more chocolatey flavor. Use any chocolate you like, from milk to bittersweet. White chocolate works too!
- the combination of hot cream and chocolate creates ganache, one of the most luscious foods on the planet. The ganache starts to melt on contact with hot milk to create a decadent instant hot chocolate.
- vanilla extract
- vanilla brings out the chocolate flavor.
- coconut oil
- coconut oil melted with chocolate makes the Magic Shell style sauce that coats and hardens into a thin shell around our chocolate bombs.
- sprinkles, optional
- if you don’t want to use sprinkles you can use a dusting of cocoa powder, powdered sugar, or shaved chocolate. Crushed peppermint candy or tiny marshmallow ‘sprinkles’ are also good choices.
making chocolate ganache, step by step
Chocolate ganache is the base of your ‘bomb’ and it’s a simple but amazing mixture of hot cream and chocolate. This is the same ganache I use in my truffle candies.
- Put heavy cream and chocolate pieces in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Stir slowly to combine.
- Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and glossy, with no lumps of chocolate.
- Chill until firm enough to scoop.
making hot cocoa bombs
- Use a standard ice cream scoop (1/4 cup) to scoop out the ganache. Roll quickly in your hands until nice and round or just leave in the scoop shape, it’s up to you.
- Dip into Magic Shell style chocolate sauce, and let the excess drip off.
- Set on a lined baking sheet.
- Top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Let the coating harden before storing or using. I like to set them in paper muffin liners.
make a hot chocolate bomb bar!
Set out your ganache bombs on a plate and provide mugs, hot milk, and marshmallows so people can help themselves.
how to store hot cocoa bombs
If you’re going to use your truffle bombs the same day you can keep them at room temperature. After that refrigerate them, and remember to bring to room temperature before using.
how long will these last?
They’ll last 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
can you freeze hot cocoa bombs
Yes, these will freeze well. Thaw and bring to room temperature before using.
why I love these hot chocolate bombs
Anyone who really loves hot chocolate knows it’s difficult to find or make a great mug of the stuff. These adorable balls of chocolate ganache make instant hot chocolate ~ all you have to do is heat the milk, pour over your bomb, and stir!
You can find my double walled glass mugs ~ perfect for showing off your hot chocolate bombs! ~ on Amazon.
more cozy hot drinks!
- The Ultimate Drinking Chocolate
- Drinkable Nutella
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix ~ it’s the creamiest!
- Mexican Hot Chocolate (Atole Champurrado)
- Hot Buttered Apple Cider
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix ~ it’s the creamiest!
- Butterscotch Steamer
Hot Chocolate Bombs
- ice cream scoop
- crushed peppermint
- Put chopped chocolate or chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl with the cream. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.*
- Let the bowl sit for a minute and then begin to stir the mixture together. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and glossy, and all the chocolate has melted. Stir in the vanilla.
- Let the ganache cool to a scoop-able texture. This can take several hours. To speed the process you can refrigerate, or put over a bowl of ice.
- Use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop to portion out your ganache. If it is still too soft, refrigerate again until firm enough to scoop.
- Dip each ball of ganache into the Magic Shell sauce using a fork, and let the excess drip off before placing on a waxed paper lined surface.
- Immediately sprinkle on your garnishes while the chocolate is wet.
- When the coating has set, you can use or store your hot chocolate bombs in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before using.
to make hot chocolate with your bombs
- Place a hot chocolate bomb in a mug.
- Heat milk just until it is steaming and starts to bubble around the edges.
- Pour hot milk over bomb. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted.