Bluefish with Mustard Sauce and chives is a classic New England style baked fish recipe with tons of flavor and a pretty garnish of fresh chives!
bluefish with mustard sauce is an old favorite of ours
I think we first came across the recipe in a British country cookbook that became our bible when we were in London for a year right after college. It’s tangy, a little out of the ordinary, and a good way to get beyond a broiled salmon rut. We’re all supposed to be eating more fish, but for our own health and the health of the oceans we need to eat a broader variety of species. If you aren’t adventurous you can use haddock, cod, tilapia or snapper.
what is bluefish?
Bluefish is a delicious Atlantic fish with flakey white flesh. The flavor is mild but assertive enough to stand up to a nice mustard sauce.
It’s sustainable and affordable, a great boon when it comes to fish these days.
what you’ll need:
- mustard ~ two kinds for the perfect balance of flavor.
- shallots ~ for a gentle onion flavor
- capers ~ for a little briny kick.
- fresh lemon
- creme fraiche
- fresh chives
This healthy meal is ready in minutes, all you need to do is blend the sauce ingredients, slather on the fish, and bake!
how to bake bluefish
- Preheat your oven to 425f. Give it time to come up to temperature.
- Bake the fish until it flakes (about 15 minutes.) You can check this with a fork, just give it a prod, the flesh should separate in opaque white sheets. If it is still holding together and translucent, bake for a little longer.
- I always pop my fish under the broiler at the very end for some color and that wonderful sizzle. The sauce melts into the fish and creates a lovely effect.
chives make the perfect garnish
Next time you’re tempted to bake up some fish with a little butter and a squeeze of lemon, try this instead. You’ll swear you’re in the cozy back booth at the Hare and Hounds with a pint of stout and a good football match on the telly.
more easy fish dinners to try
- Classic New England Fish Pie
- Creamy Lemon Dill Salmon
- Whitefish with Cherry Salsa
- Roasted Halibut with Tomatoes, Peppers, and Olives
Bluefish with Mustard Sauce and chives
- 2 bluefish filets, about 1/2 pound each
- 1 Tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp creamy Dijon mustard
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely minced
- 1 Tbsp capers
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 2 Tbsp minced, fresh! chives
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together and add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust any of the other ingredients to your liking.
- Arrange the fish in a shallow casserole and spread the sauce over them. Bake until the fish flakes, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve right away, showered with the chives.