Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies ~ everybody’s favorite combo in an easy one bowl dessert, these quick blondies are a delicious way to say ‘I’m thinking of you’.
It’s that time of year again. Classes start for both my girls this week, and I want to get off a couple of care packages so that they arrive right at the beginning of their year. A good care package should be lovingly packed with the tastes of home, and that means no-fail family favorites, like these Peanut Butter Blondies, for one.
To make a successful care package you need to start at the crack of dawn. You need time to bake, cool and pack your goodies and then get them to the post office in time for an early pick up. I try not to pack too much so that it’s overwhelming, but enough so that they can share with new or old buddies.
These peanut butter chocolate chip blondies are good for shipping because they will stay moist even after a couple of days in transit, thanks to the brown sugar and peanut butter. They’re sturdy, too, and won’t crumble if you pack them properly. I’m going to wrap each one in plastic wrap for easy grabbing on the fly.
Here are some tips for packing the perfect care package ~
- Be mindful of the season ~ spring, fall and winter are good times to send care packages, but summer heat can do a number on chocolate and other meltables.
- Choose treats that are sturdy enough to make the journey without crumbling. Blondies, brownies, and hardy cookies like chocolate chip or oatmeal are good choices. Quick breads are a good choice, too. Stay away from frosted items like cupcakes.
- I like to use small flat rate boxes, they are the perfect size to fit a batch or two of cookies, they’re FREE, and in most cases they’ll arrive within 2 days. I keep a stack of them at home so I can send a package at a moment’s notice.
- Pack your baked goods securely in a small box so that there is no room for jiggling, and then don’t skimp on the bubble wrap to surround it.
- Pack and mail your care package as soon as possible after your goodies have cooled completely.
- Don’t forget the napkins!
I’ve got lots of great packable treats on the blog ~
- SPRINKLE SUGAR COOKIES are festive and sturdy, I love the idea of coordinating the sprinkles to the occasion. Think about doing school colors!
- MAPLE WALNUT SHORTBREAD COOKIES, the glaze on these cookies hardens so they can be stacked and packed.
- APPLE CIDER DOUGHNUT CAKE, pack the whole cake, or slice and pack each piece separately.
- TRIPLE VANILLA POUND CAKE, this coffee shop style cake is perfect for packing in individual slices.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup peanut butter, I like smooth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350F
- Line an 8x8 square baking pan with a sling of parchment or foil for easy removal and cutting.
- Melt the butter either in a saucepan or in a microwavable mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the sugars and peanut butter until thoroughly mixed.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour and salt and stir into the wet mixture. Then fold in the chips.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out moist but clean. Don't over bake---treat these blondies as you would brownies and err on the underdone side.
Make it your own ~
- Nuts are always a great addition to blondies, try walnuts or pecans.
- Bake up your blondies in a round pan or a skillet and cut it into slices like pie.
Don’t forget to pin these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies!