A classic creamy potato salad made with South Carolina’s famously sweet and tangy Carolina Gold barbecue sauce.
Potato salad is one of my favorite blank canvases for creative flavor experiments. Once I’ve made the classics like Mom’s Creamy Potato Salad and German Potato Salad for the season my mind starts to wander to fun new ways to shake up this summer staple. Carolina gold barbecue potato salad is familiar yet different, which is a nice balance for a variation on a classic summer side.
what’s in Carolina Gold barbecue potato salad?
- in this case we’re going for gold thin skinned waxy potatoes. Gold potatoes are known for their buttery flavor and tend to hold their shape well, making them good for potato salads where you want definition in your potatoes. Their yellow flesh makes them perfect for this recipe.
- sweet onion
- Carolina Gold barbecue sauce
- a sweet/tangy mustard based barbecue sauce from South Carolina. It can be traced back to waves of German settlers who brought their love of mustard with them and added it to the traditional vinegar based bbq sauce of the region. Make it homemade, or buy a commercial sauce.
- yellow mustard
- smoked sea salt
- black pepper
why we love this Carolina Gold barbecue potato salad recipe
If you love a great creamy potato salad, you’re gonna love this. If you crave a little novelty on your paper plate, you’ll love it too. The flavors are softly different with a sweet/tangy smokey mustard vibe that’s not too dramatic. Whether you’re serving grilled chicken, ribs, burgers and dogs, or sandwiches, Carolina gold barbecue potato salad is the perfect side.
want to make it your own?
Carolina gold barbecue potato salad is pretty simple as written, but that doesn’t mean you have to keep it that way !
- If you love eggs in your potato salad, they’d go great in this one. Hard boil your eggs and then give them a rough chop. The more the better!
- Crumbled bacon is a perfect match.
- Got leftover pulled pork? Add it in!
- Use a vegan mayo for a vegan barbecue potato salad.
Carolina Gold Barbecue Potato Salad
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes or other waxy yellow variety
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- snipped chives
- Peel the potatoes and cut any larger potatoes in half lengthwise so they all cook evenly. Cover with cold water and add a tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender. Check with the tip of a sharp knife.
- While the potatoes are cooking put the celery and onions in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients until smooth. Taste to adjust anything to your liking.
- Drain and cut the potatoes, while still hot, into large dice.
- As you cut the potatoes, add to the celery and onions and drizzle with some of the dressing as you go. Once all the potatoes are in, add more dressing and toss gently. The hot potatoes will drink in that dressing. Note: you may not need or want all of the dressing. You can reserve the extra in the refrigerator and add later if needed.
- Chill the potato salad completely before serving. Garnish with snipped chives and cracked black pepper.
- Potato salad will last up to a week, refrigerated.