Ranch potato salad is a delicious mashup between your favorite potato salad and your favorite creamy ranch dressing (homemade, of course!) This has to be the ultimate potato salad.
ranch potato salad is fresh, fun, and fabulous!
Are you tired of the same old potato salad? The one your mom and grandma made, the one that you’re still dutifully making because you think there’s nothing better? Think again, this ranch potato salad is fresh, fun, and fabulous. The homemade ranch dressing replaces plain mayonnaise for a huge upgrade in flavor. And don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten the green onions and crispy bacon!
ingredients ranch potato salad
You love ranch dressing and ranch potato chips, so why not carry that love on over to potato salad? This is a delicious idea, but you have to do it right.
- spring onions
- salt and pepper
- ranch dressing ~ homemade is highly recommended
so what kind of potatoes?
For this salad I love to use tiny new potatoes, cut in half. There’s no need to peel them when they’re this little, and that’s a big plus. This type of potato is ‘waxy’ or creamy in texture, and not too starchy. They hold together well for potato salad. I cook them in lots of salted water and then cut them and partially dress them with the ranch while they’re steaming hot. Why? The hot potatoes absorb the dressing so much better.
Have you tried The Little Potato Company potatoes? This isn’t sponsored, but I love how easy it is to grab one of their 1 1/2 lb bags, which is the perfect amount for this salad. The potatoes are all uniformly the same size, and already cleaned, which helps, too. Easy peasy.
the ranch dressing, homemade or bottled?
Oh homemade, of course, no question! I’ve got the perfect recipe that’s fresh and light, not gloppy and artificial like the bottled stuff. I use a base of sour cream, mayo, and buttermilk that makes the creamy base, blended up with garlic, lemon, and fresh herbs. If you’re only used to commercial ranch dressing this will be a revelation. I use it on green salads, as a dressing for potato and pasta salads, (chicken and tuna too!) and as a dip for veggies ~ this stuff is useful!
favorite potluck salads
- Spicy Thai Spaghetti Salad
- Mediterranean Bean Salad
- Sour Cream and Onion Potato Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Tuna
- Lemon Basil Pasta Salad
- Crunchy Chinese Coleslaw
Ranch Potato Salad
- small food processor, blender, or immersion blender
- 1 1/2 lb baby or new potatoes
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing (use more or less to taste), get recipe here
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced (about 6)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 Tbsp snipped chives
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Cook your potatoes in plenty of salted water until just tender.
- Drain and, while they are still hot, cut them in half or quarters, depending on their size.
- Put the hot potatoes in a bowl and toss gently with a few tablespoons of the ranch dressing and a pinch of salt. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth napkin, and then wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled.
- When the potatoes have chilled, toss with more ranch dressing and the green onions, bacon, and chives. Note: be generous with the dressing.
- You can serve immediately, or put back in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Give everything a final toss before serving, and garnish with more bacon, and black pepper if you like. Note: toss with more dressing before serving if needed.