My Chicken Salad Summer Rolls with an herbed mayonnaise dip is a delicious take on classic Vietnamese rice paper rolls ~ this easy 30 minute lunch or dinner is one of the most refreshing meals on the planet.
Summer rolls are one of the best things about summer! They’re also the ONLY thing I like about the soaring temperatures…these translucent little rolls are cooling, crunchy, and just perfect when everything and everyone is wilted and They’re the very definition of refreshing. We LOVED these!!
Recipe development can be a rough road…things don’t always turn out as you planned, and sometimes it can take lots of trial and error to get it right. But from the moment the lightbulb went off in my head about making chicken salad summer rolls I knew I had a winner. I could taste them even before I started assembling the ingredients. What I especially love is that, while summer rolls are usually served as an appetizer, the chicken salad turns them into a light satisfying meal.
I had my first summer roll in a Vietnamese restaurant about 10 years ago, it was a sweltering day, the restaurant didn’t have air conditioning, and when the plate of summer rolls appeared at the table it was such a revelation… the rice wrapped bundles are the BEST thing to beat the heat whether they’re filled with crisp veggies or a chicken salad like mine.
These are perfect for a brunch, luncheon, shower, or any other gathering where you want to serve something easy but unexpected.
What you’ll need to make chicken salad summer rolls ~
- rice paper wrappers ~ these are sold dried, and you’ll find them in the Asian section of your supermarket.
- chicken salad, your favorite purchased or homemade.
- micro greens (substitute sprouts, shredded lettuce, or spinach) Micro greens come in plastic tubs, look for them with the sprouts or other greens in your supermarket. I used micro broccoli for these rolls, but any variety is great.
I’ve got other summer roll recipes on the blog to try ~
My Rainbow Summer Rolls are made with colorful veggies, finely julienned for a powerful crunch. it’s a great vegan alternative for those of you who don’t eat chicken.
My Spinach and Basil Summer Rolls are filled with translucent glass noodles, which are gluten free and incredibly cooling. The texture is fabulous.
Ingredient spotlight: RICE PAPER WRAPPERS
The nice thing about these rice paper wrappers is that they will keep indefinitely, so stock a few packages in your cupboard. Dip them in water for about 10 seconds and they will transform from stiff disks into pliable translucent wrappers. You can wrap up your favorite filling and enjoy authentic summer rolls in minutes.
Reader Rave ~
“These were divine! Made them for a girls picnic and they were definitely a favourite.” ~ Astrid
Chicken Salad Summer Rolls
- 2 cups of your favorite chicken salad, or use recipe below
- 8-10 spring roll wrappers
- 2 cups microgreens
herbed mayo dip
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- handful fresh dill leaves
- handful fresh chives
- juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups cooked cubed chicken, cut in small dice
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery, with inner leaves
- 2 Tbsp very finely minced red onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, more if you like
- milk to thin
- salt and pepper
- If you are making the chicken salad, mix the chicken, celery and onion in a bowl. Thin the mayonnaise with a little milk, and pour over the chicken. Toss and add salt and pepper to taste. This recipe makes a thin mayo dressing, don't thin it down if you like it thicker.
- To make the herbed dip, put the mayonnaise and the herbs in a wide mouthed mason jar or similar jar, and squeeze in the citrus juice. Use an immersion blender to blend together until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the rolls, put some cold water in the bottom of a pie plate or large shallow bowl. Working one at a time, dip a rice paper wrapper into the water for about 8-10 seconds, just until it starts to soften, and then put it on a smooth surface. A flat counter top works well, or any other smooth flat surface. Arrange a small bunch of micro-greens in the center of the paper, and top with about 1/4 cup of chicken salad, arranged in a line. (see photo in the post)
- Roll up the chicken salad just like you would a burrito, tucking in the two sides, and keeping everything nice and snug as you go.
- Slice the rolls in half with a very sharp knife, and serve with the mayo dip. If you want to make these a few hours ahead, put them on a plate so that they don't touch each other (the rice paper wrappers will stick) and cover with a damp cloth. Cover the cloth with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.
Make these chicken salad summer rolls your own ~
- Make it lower fat and calorie ~ substitute Greek yogurt for all or part of the mayo in this recipe.
- Make it ahead ~ put the rolls on a platter (not touching each other to prevent sticking) cover with a damp cloth, and then plastic wrap. Refrigerate.
- Make it vegan ~ fill with finely julienned carrots or other veggies and serve with a coconut milk, lime, and ginger dip.
Questions and Reviews
You are my spirit animal! I want to make everything you post, this is a perfect idea, I love a good summer roll
Sue, I love your ideas! They are beautiful and so delicious! If I wanted to make these for a gathering, how far in advance can you make these rolls and how would you store them already made?
Hey Claire ~ You can make the chicken salad a day ahead, but you don’t want to roll them until shortly before serving; the rice paper wrappers don’t keep super well once they’ve been moistened and rolled. I have done it successfully for a few hours by keeping the rolls separated (they can stick together) and wrapped in damp paper towels and plastic, but I don’t recommend making them any earlier than that.