Lime Chiffon Ice Cream ~ this ultra easy lime ice cream recipe is made with a sour cream base that makes it the creamiest tangiest ice cream ever. No wimpy lime flavor here, this is the REAL DEAL!
This unusual ice cream has a true, fresh lime flavor and an incredibly creamy consistency. It’s so special I couldn’t hold out on you, so even though fall is creeping up on us, I hope you’ll excuse one more ice cream indulgence. And anyway, ice cream knows no season, there’s always a pint or two in our freezer, so it might as well be homemade. As the weather cools down I’ll be making a batch of MAPLE WALNUT or NO CHURN PUMPKIN, but for right now, this hits the spot.
It’s interesting because even as you bring a spoonful of this lime ice cream to your mouth your brain is thinking ‘icy’, and so the creamy mouthfeel is a nice surprise. The combination of the tart citrus with the luscious texture is amazing. This easy, no egg ice cream recipe is similar to my FRESH LEMON ICE CREAM, and I recommend both of these if you love all things tart and tangy like I do.
For this recipe you’ll need 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice. Lime prices can be so unpredictable, so when I see them cheap I grab as many as I can fit in a produce bag. Mine were nice and plump and juicy so I only needed 3 for this recipe.
TIP: Resist the temptation to used bottled lime juice for this recipe, the flavor won’t be the same.
Aren’t limes gorgeous? I think they have such a unique citrus flavor and it’s such a shame that they’re usually overlooked. I like to use them in desserts that normally feature lemons, like my TANGY LIME BARS.
I strain out the pulp so that it doesn’t mar the smooth texture of the finished product.
Like my recent WILD BLUEBERRY ICE CREAM this one is made with sour cream in place of heavy cream. I know that sounds a little strange, but not only is it easier to throw together, it yields a rich flavor and an unparalleled smooth texture. At 14% fat, sour cream is much lower than heavy cream, which has a whopping 38%, so you’re getting a healthier dessert along with all that extra flavor and texture. I made a batch with low fat sour cream and it turned out great, too, we could not really tell the difference, so feel free to try that for an even lower fat content.
Sour cream is a lot like yogurt ~ it’s a fermented dairy product that has been ‘soured’ by lactic acid bacteria. It gives this ice cream a subtle tang.
TIP: Don’t retire your ice cream maker at the end of summer, homemade ice cream is a year round treat, and you can customize it to whatever’s in season. Check out all my ice cream flavors HERE. they range from classic VANILLA BEAN to my unique HONEYSUCKLE or ROASTED FIG. And I know your holiday guests will appreciate a scoop of IRISH WHISKEY ICE CREAM on their pecan pie this year 🙂
Which ice cream machine do I recommend?
I get asked all the time about what machine I use. I use and recommend Cuisinart. I’ve had my machine for years without any issues, I think because there are no fussy electronic parts to break down ~ it’s a simple motor that turns the freezer bowl for churning the ice cream and it works quickly and perfectly every time.
- The machine I use, and it’s the base model. It works great for ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sorbets, and makes all of them in about 2o minutes. Click HERE or click on the image for more info.
Lime Chiffon Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed and strained lime juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 ounce tub of sour cream
- 1-2 drops green food coloring, optional
- lime zest
- Stir together the lime juice and sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add in the sour cream and food coloring, if using. Whisk or stir until everything is well combined and smooth. You can do this in a food processor if you like.
- Process according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Spoon the soft ice cream into a pan, cover, and freeze until firm.
- Serve garnished with lime zest.
- Make Key lime ice cream if you can find enough Key limes to make 1/2 cup of juice. Substitute lemons if you like.
- Next on my list is pink grapefruit.
- For a vegan lime ice cream, try coconut milk in place of the sour cream.
Don’t forget to pin this Lime Chiffon Ice Cream!