Easy No Bake White Chocolate Thin Mints

white chocolate thin mints

Easy No Bake White Chocolate Thin Mints ~ just four simple ingredients is all it takes to make these minty copy cat Girl Scout cookies ~ add them to your holiday cookie assortment!

A crisp chocolate cookie coated with minty white chocolate

These no bake white chocolate thin mints are a pretty version of my original No Bake Thin Mints recipe

The originals were such a success, and so easy, I had to give you white chocolate lovers a version all for yourselves. These no bake cookies are the same dip and go kind of deal, only instead of dark chocolate it’s a creamy white confection. I love these because the base cookie, Nabisco Famous Wafers, is crisp and chocolatey and contrasts so well with the minty white coating. They’re irresistible, especially with after dinner coffee.

A stack of the easiest cookies you'll ever make!

If you’re busy and looking for a quick gift or dessert, you can’t go wrong with these. The white chocolate and peppermint looks so festive, and no one would ever guess its no-bake shortcut secret.

Ingredients for these no bake cookies

• Nabisco Famous Wafers ~ if you can’t find them, use any thin chocolate cookie, even Oreo halves will work.
  • White bark coating ~ this comes in a block, or in little disk shapes and you can find it at larger grocery stores, in the chocolate section, or at craft stores like Michaels.  I often stock up through Amazon, they have all varieties.
  • Oil based peppermint extract
  • Coconut oil or shortening
  • Peppermint candies or candy canes for crushing ~ or ready made crushed peppermint

This cookie couldn't be easier, or more delicious!

The best white ‘chocolate’ for melting

• bark coating
  • almond bark
  • melting wafers

These are all variations of the same type of product: a confectionary that is not actually white chocolate, but is a very good substitute when you need to melt it for coating. I’ve come to appreciate the virtues of white bark coating in place of finicky white chocolate and truth be told, I like the flavor better, it has a nice clear vanilla taste, where white chocolate can be cloying, at least to me. Anyway it’s a good choice when you want to coat something like a cookie or candy because it melts without any trouble and you can use flavorings without fear of it seizing up on you. Most stores carry it right by the regular baking chocolate.

You can see all my tips and tricks for melting chocolate of any type here.

Peppermint and white chocolate thin mints

The contrast between the black and the white, with the little sprinkle of pink, is just beautiful!

How to crush candy canes

When you want a minty garnish for cookies and cakes this season, you can crush candy canes or other mint candies!

• Put the candy in a heavy duty zip lock baggie.
  • Put the bag on a firm surface and whack it with a meat pounder, or the side of a rolling pin.

a stack of no bake white chocolate thin mint cookies

Be sure to check out all the Thin Mint cookies on the blog ~

A stack of White Chocolate Thin Mint Cookies

Notes ~

• When you flavor melted chocolate it is important to use an oil based product. Any amount of water can cause the chocolate to ‘seize’ up into a solid mass. For me I have success with McCormick’s Peppermint Extract, which is readily available in stores, but others have had trouble with it. You can find pure peppermint flavoring oils in specialty stores, large craft stores, and online, here.
  • Try to crush the peppermint just before you want to use it, as it sits it has a tendency to get sticky. An alternative is to buy readymade crushed peppermint candy, which has an additive that helps prevent stickiness.
  • If you have trouble finding the Nabisco Famous Wafers, readers (in the comments below) have had success making these with Oreo Thins, and even Chips Ahoy!

Easy No Bake White Chocolate Thin Mints

Course Dessert
Prep Time 10 minutes
Yield 20 cookies
Calories 60kcal

• a box of Nabisco Famous Wafer cookies or another thin crisp chocolate cookie
  • 12 oz white bark coating I used Kroeger's
  • 1/4 tsp oil based peppermint extract water based flavoring can cause the chocolate to seize
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil or shortening optional This thins the chocolate and makes for easier melting and dipping.
  • about 10 peppermint candies or candy canes, crushed (I used my small food processor)

• Cut the white bark coating into small pieces and put in a microwave safe bowl along with the oil or shortening, if using.
  • Microwave for 1 minute, then remove the bowl and stir. If the chocolate hasn't melted, microwave again in 15 second bursts, stirring in between.
  • When the chocolate is completely melted, stir in the extract. Note: if your chocolate is thick, add more coconut oil or shortening to thin it down.
  • Dip the cookies, one at a time, face down into the chocolate. Use a fork to gently flip it over and completely coat it. Lift the cookie out with the fork and tap off any excess coating. Set it down on waxed or parchment paper. Immediately sprinkle with crushed peppermint while the chocolate is wet.
  • Note: Be gentle when you dip the cookies, they are very fragile. If the chocolate cools down and thickens, gently reheat it.
  • Allow the cookies to firm up before stacking or packaging.

Nutrition

Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 60kcal

email sign up prompt

Michaela
    December 9, 2018 at 8:43 pm

I couldn’t find the wafers anywhere locally. I substituted with the Double Chocolate Chips Ahoy THINS! Mmmm so yummy! Loved how easy it was and I couldn’t mess it up ?

December 10, 2018 at 7:10 am

I tried finding the wafers this week too, I think there’s a holiday shortage going on. I’m glad you got creative Michaela ~ I suggested to another reader that she try separating Oreos and scraping off the frosting!

Cathy
    December 18, 2017 at 11:08 am

Might want to be more explicit about the peppermint extract at the start… not so easy to find for me… had all ingredients bought & ready to go (or so I thought) with McCormicks extract when I got to the bottom and read that note… off and running now in search of the right stuff…

December 18, 2017 at 11:44 am

It’s not an issue for some, and it depends on what white chocolate, or bark, you’re using, and what peppermint extract. I have success with McCormick’s peppermint extract, but others have had trouble. Once you find the right combination, you can stick with it. To be absolutely sure, I would go with a candy flavoring oil like I mentioned above.

Candi
    December 14, 2017 at 5:23 am

Hi,
    How do you store or pack these? Can I stack in a box for a gift ?
    Thanks!

December 14, 2017 at 5:48 am

Yes, they are completely hardened and will stack fine.

Marijo K
    November 12, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Hi Sue, thank you for a easy recipe!!! Was wondering if Bob’s mint candy would work, cause how soft they are?

November 12, 2017 at 4:03 pm

I’m not familiar with that candy, Marijo but if you say it’s a soft style mint then I’m not sure they would work as well as a hard candy that you can crush.

Martha
    November 10, 2017 at 6:31 am

These look like very yummy treats! I noticed that you tagged these gluten free, which totally got my attention, especially the no bake part. What brand of gluten free chocolate wafer do you use? I did a “thin mint” search in Amazon, and got wierd results.

November 10, 2017 at 7:33 am

I’m not aware of any gluten free tag, Martha, not sure where you saw that. You are right, gluten free chocolate wafers are impossible to find, you pretty much have to make them yourself! Here’s a recipe I found.

Kelly at Wildflour's Cottage Kitchen
    November 9, 2017 at 2:24 am

Hi Sue! These sound wonderful! I love using white chocolate bark, too, and have used Kroeger’s for years! I am a little confused, though. I learned my lesson years ago that you absolutely cannot add liquid to it, or it will seize up solid like a BRICK. (I once had to literally chisel it out of the pan after adding a tiny bit of vanilla extract. THEN, I read the back of the package where it says not to do that…) So, how did you add the peppermint extract to it? Even a DROP of liquid will ruin it…help?

November 9, 2017 at 7:32 am

The peppermint must be oil based, Kelly, or you are right, the chocolate will seize. You can find peppermint oils on Amazon here. Although I find that I can sometimes get away with McCormick peppermint extract, it seems to depend on the chocolate, so I would be safe and get some flavoring oil.

Ben Myhre
    November 6, 2017 at 4:35 am

These look so simple and tasty. Definitely moving into Holiday treat season. Otherwise known as “the best season.”

November 8, 2017 at 10:30 am

Totally the best season!!

NRS
    March 3, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Love, love, love these! I used 1/2 tsp extract since I didn’t top with peppermint candies. Thanks Sue!

November 8, 2017 at 10:31 am

So glad you liked them <3

Shilpa Nicodemus
    December 29, 2016 at 9:28 am

Have you tried making a chocolate mint version? So that it’s more like a traditional thin mint. Just curious. I had great success with your recipe btw!

Charlie
    April 16, 2016 at 9:04 am

Is the tutorial for the candy tray for the cookies still available.
    I just signed up for emails.

1 2 3