Glazed Buttermilk Doughnut Muffins ~ these sweet muffins have the texture of the perfect cakey doughnut!
Nutmeg is the secret to the doughnut flavor!
These muffins rise beautifully with perfect domed tops that practically beg to be drenched in glaze. I was only too happy to oblige.
Dip them twice to make sure you get a nice thick layer of the stuff.
If you love these muffins you’ll also love my APPLE CIDER DOUGHNUT CAKE ~ it’s a fluffy moist bundt cake with the flavor of your favorite fall spiced doughnuts.
~~~adapted from King Arthur Flour
Glazed Buttermilk Doughnut Muffins
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg, or more, to taste (I used freshly grated)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk, you can use regular milk
- Set oven to 425°F.
- Cream the butter, oil and sugars together. Add in the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla. Beat well.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together, and add them, alternately with the buttermilk, to the butter and eggs. Begin and end with the dry ingredients.
- Grease your muffin tin and fill the cups. They will be full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Don’t over bake.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a rack.
- Dip the cooled muffins, top down, into the glaze, swirling it around a bit to insure you get a good coating. Set them back on the rack. After you’ve dipped all the muffins, go around and dip them a second time.
- To make the glaze, heat the milk in a small saucepan and then, off the heat, add the extract and sugar, whisking into a smooth glaze.