This Pasta Salad with Tuna is the classic pasta salad I grew up with, and it remains my favorite summer salad — it sounds simple, but the combination of flavors is addictive, and once you start eating this, you won’t be able to stop!
I was so excited to do something with my new obsession, 30 Second Mayonnaise, and this was the very first thing that popped into my mind. I love this stuff, it’s my summer comfort food. I make it in the morning and it just gets better as it sits all day in the fridge. At the end of a hot day it’s waiting there for me like a cool breeze.
Sometimes I share unusual or exotic recipes here on TVFGI, but other times I like to celebrate the food we actually love to eat on a daily basis. This family recipe isn’t fancy, in fact it’s downright humble, but it’s so satisfying. This is one of our favorite summer stand bys. I look forward to it every year, right up there with fresh corn and ripe tomatoes. Give me a cold glass of white wine and a plate of pasta salad with tuna and I’m in heaven.
The tuna and egg make this hearty enough for dinner, which is the key to the success of this salad for me. The homemade mayo makes it a little bit gourmet. The fresh herbs, red onion and scallions give it lots of flavor, the peppers give it crunch and the ripe tomato a burst of summery juice. For a humble pasta salad it really has a lot going on.
A great pasta salad is the birthright of every American family, what’s the secret to yours?
Other great ideas for canned tuna ~
- SUMMER TOMATO AND TUNA SALAD
- LAYERED TUNA SALAD JARS
- ALBACORE TUNA BUDDHA BOWLS
- MEDITERRANEAN PASTA SALAD WITH TUNA
- SPAGHETTI PEPERONATA WITH TUNA AND OLIVES
Reader Rave ~
“Just made this yesterday. Wow, really fresh and light. Just the right amount of tuna and the abundance of fresh chopped veggies makes this salad shine. Thanks for sharing!” ~ Anita
This Pasta Salad with Tuna is the classic pasta salad I grew up with, and it remains my favorite summer salad --- it sounds simple, but the combination of flavors is addictive, and once you start eating this, you won't be able to stop!
- 2 cups pasta curls or elbows (measure out raw) cooked in salted water until just barely al dente
- 1 small can of your favorite tuna
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large bell pepper or several colorful minis, cut in small dice
- 1 tomato, cut in small dice
- Several large spoonfuls of mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill, or you can use 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp celery seed
- fresh thyme leaves
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- a squeeze of lemon
- 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs, cut in wedges
- Mix the first 6 ingredients together with the mayo. Measure in enough mayo to make the salad moist but not overwhelmed. Add the herbs, celery seed, salt and pepper to taste. Add the dash of lemon juice and then refrigerate the salad for at least a few hours.
- When ready to serve, give the salad another toss, taste to see if you need more seasoning, or more mayo, (it will probably need something) and garnish with the sliced eggs
Make it your own ~
- Use whole wheat pasta for a nutrition boost.
- Try salmon or baby shrimp instead of the tuna.
- You can dress this with a simple vinaigrette instead of the mayo.